VAFC hack?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jshade

People are strange
who has had personal experience using the vafc hack? I had a guy with a 99 civic si with vortech sc pushing 8-10 psi. ask me to perform this mod. I told him to let me do some digging on it, So who's got what?

I've been meaning to ask this, what is a VAFC hack? Yes i know what a VAFC is and what it does, just don't know what the hack is.

this car is a 99 civic si w/vortech sc @ 8-10 psi the guy has new 440 saturated type injectors. what I really want to find out is the timing issues. I've been researching the hack for about a week now, and I think it's a great setup. It makes complete sense. except the vafc will cause the ecu to advance timing with the low map readings it's sending it. and that would be advancing timing at about 5-7 psi. so HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SETUP ON THIS BOARD ?

Hello.

I advocate OBD1 conversion and open source boost code, it can be done quite cheaply if you have a DIY bent - cheaper than an AFC. 99 Si's and Vortech blower kits strike me as a pretty $bling$ setup, so even if you have to pay a few dollars it's not a bad thing, and won't run much more than an AFC.

If the Vortech setup is intercooled you should be alright with AFC hack, but I dislike blowers as they heat charge air more than a turbo. That, plus timing issues, makes it a little more volatile than what poor kids with rusty LS powered CRXs have done with the AFC hack in the past.

i use the hack on my b16 turbo, and it works great! just make sure he follows thedropshop.tv's advice, and street tune it from there. my car idles perfect with the 450's and the transition to boost is unnocitable, the only thing i notice is the feeling of my gut hitting the back of my seat, hehehe...the hack is great!

what about the PCV valve? dont you need to re-route it when you turbo the car. or do something to it, cause it can't have pressure all the time or somethin....i'm tired, i forget what i read..

-Robbie

pcv has nothing to do with it at all. its a good idea to have a catch can though... it helps reduce detonation.

>>> so basically you wire up the VAFC/SAFC like the manual tells you to, and you set 1000-8000 at -40% with dsm 450cc's, and thats it? <<<

i wouldn't say "that's it" but thats the basics... RC saturated 440's, or cheap peak/hold dsm 450's with a resistor box will work. as for your actual settings, the dyno knows best. id still recommend you get it tuned.

i would def tune it.

and my comment about the PCV was a lil out in left field, it just came to me while i was posting. but anyways, can it still be routed to the intake manifold and not fuck anything up? or should it be re routed with a catch can just in case?

the catch-can goes inline so to speak. it eats some "soot" that would normal be fed back into the motor to get re-burned. the catch can catches these vapors and keeps them out of the combustion chamber a little better

Back