vafc maps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

9sech22civic

just curious on a good tune for an ls/vtec 83 mm, light flywheel, b16 head gsr cams with a gsr obd 2 ecu. ohh yeah its 9.4 compression pistons.ls tranny. I purchased a vafc and will tune it saturday. just wondering who has tuned these and how successful you were. what were your a/f mapping and where is a good place to set your vtec crossover? I've heard horror stories on people burning holes in pistons with the gsr ecu set up....WHY? Hell I don't want that to happen to the wife car, that would be ugly! thanks

Do it all on a dyno and tune based on the dyno chart and your wideband readout- what works for one person isn't going to necessarily work for you- especially since you're running an odd bore size and custom pistons.

Originally posted by 9sech22civic@May 5 2004, 11:53 PM
just curious on a good tune for an ls/vtec 83 mm, light flywheel, b16 head gsr cams with a gsr obd 2 ecu. ohh yeah its 9.4 compression pistons.ls tranny. I purchased a vafc and will tune it saturday. just wondering who has tuned these and how successful you were. what were your a/f mapping and where is a good place to set your vtec crossover? I've heard horror stories on people burning holes in pistons with the gsr ecu set up....WHY? Hell I don't want that to happen to the wife car, that would be ugly! thanks

are you going to run the "hack" on a built motor? why waste the time? you need a proper engine management system. hondata/uberdata/crome/AEM/whatever.

Originally posted by ndogg+May 6 2004, 07:09 AM-->
9sech22civic
@May 5 2004, 11:53 PM

are you going to run the "hack" on a built motor? why waste the time? you need a proper engine management system. hondata/uberdata/crome/AEM/whatever.

Where does it say he is going to do a hack? I don't see boost anywhere in his setup. Simple fuel tuning isn't the VAFC hack.

thats why i put the "?" in my reply. but it sounds like he is going to do just that. if you are running a real system... then there is no need for an afc.

Originally posted by ndogg@May 6 2004, 01:09 AM

good to see you posting nate

and :werd: on proper fuel management

wow... i'm so pumped up on the boost thing... i didn't even notice he didn't metion boost. my bad.

sup b20, when you gonna get your car running mang?

well hell yes, its eventually gonna get a stand alone. this has been a winter project for the wifes car, she's tired of filming and wants to participate this year, I think..ohh what the hell, I think i can get the 96 integra to run 12's. As for now I got to focus more on my car for the season. I'm shooting to beat the quickest fwd street time of 9.87, unless someone has already done it.. I know the car is capable, but its all about hooking it up. And i think i'm ready this year. As for the ls vtec set up, I believe i'm going the right route about it. I'm usually used to f/h series buildups. B series isn't that bad though. I started with a b18b and had golden eagle sleeve it with the hd sleeves to 83 mm, since i have some arias 9.2 pistons lying around, I am also using there girdle set up too, and dowel pins. Had a crank dynamically balanced and micropolished, new bearings, and you know the rest. Head is a b16 with a port job already done to it, added skunk2 valvetrain, swirl cut and polished and lapped the valves. added some gsr cams to it too. 8.5 pound flywheel and act clutch. so you see i have been busy and it wasn't cheap. Money doesn't grow on trees in this state. I will add a ignition box, bigger fuel pump and fuel set up. Maybe a hondata set up with a t3/t4 57 trim. I think it should suit her well. Just got a vafc for dirt cheap in great condition, and i have never messed with these nor is there a dyno within 50 miles from here and the guys that own the dyno are a bunch of pricks. ohh well just wondered what your guys imput was. The car has a ls tranny and the wife thinks it's slower than the stock set up. What do you guys think? It feels like the gsr ecu is putting too much fuel, and not a much difference with the vtec engagement.

well i'm sure you already know this... you can't tune a damn thing unless you get a wideband. i would think you would be lean because the extra displacement... you never know untill you get the wb hooked up though.

btw, jason hunt beat his old record, its now 9.5X!!!

also, the ignition box is a worthless upgrade, if you are looking for a lot of power, upgrade to a blaster ss coil. no box needed. just run the right plugs and gap, and i good set of plug wires (ie OEM or NGK).

Originally posted by ndogg@May 6 2004, 09:12 PM
well i'm sure you already know this... you can't tune a damn thing unless you get a wideband. i would think you would be lean because the extra displacement... you never know untill you get the wb hooked up though.

btw, jason hunt beat his old record, its now 9.5X!!!

also, the ignition box is a worthless upgrade, if you are looking for a lot of power, upgrade to a blaster ss coil. no box needed. just run the right plugs and gap, and i good set of plug wires (ie OEM or NGK).

damn on the 9.5. thats awesome though. as for the ignition box how do you figure its a waste, my car runs a crane hi-6 and a lx92 race coil. It works great for me, helps itensify so the high boost will not blow the spark out even with a .19 spark gap. I assume the bigger displacement will make me run lean. and I will eventually get the wideband. but at this time.. I think i am about broke by now. lol
thanks for the imput though.

By the way, what kind of power is J. hunt putting down?

i'm not sure what he is making. probably 600ish??? just a total guess though. i think that brian fisher (who is also in the 9s) is making low 500's.

as for the ignition box, i have talked to many EXTREMELY knowledgable tuners that say it really DOESN"T help the spark. just off the top of my head, this guy mike made 515 hp on his stock ignition with heat range 9 plugs and a blaster SS coil.

http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=462

500hp in the 9's? I just got a magazine(i think modified) and it has a civic drag car(I forget who's) anyway it has 1100hp and it only runs mid 8's- low 9's, so i dont know how a 500hp car will get into the 9's. My friends civic has 521hp at the wheels and it runs high 10's.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@May 9 2004, 08:02 PM
500hp in the 9's? I just got a magazine(i think modified) and it has a civic drag car(I forget who's) anyway it has 1100hp and it only runs mid 8's- low 9's, so i dont know how a 500hp car will get into the 9's. My friends civic has 521hp at the wheels and it runs high 10's.

Bisi's D15 was just over 250ish when he hit the 10's. It's not always the size of the stick, but how you swing it.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@May 9 2004, 02:02 PM

there is a big difference between an 8.5 and 9.9. and yes 500 in the NINES.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@May 9 2004, 02:02 PM

well, last year when i had some fuel issues, I was only boosting around 16-17 psi and putting down 480 to the wheels. I was hitting consistant 10-8's to 11's, Even hit a 10.4 at a test and tune. And that's at 4600 feet above sea level, although boosted setups don't make much a difference with altitude, still it would be like 2 tenths a second. Look at the next issue of drag sport, my friends shop pfi speed, has bills car which is producing low 400 horses last time i checked and he managed to clock a time of 10.6 with drag radials at palmdale. ohh yeah its a black civic hatch.

Back