vafc or neo for d16y8 good or bad

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97hatchdx

i have an vafc1 and also a apexi neo.

i have a d16y8
stage 1 gude cam
aem adj cam gear
header
2.5 exhaust no cat

i was wondering what one is better. and does one have a race mode then a daily drive mode? im going to get it professionally tuned with dyno

if its getting professionally tuned why not just chip and tune???
way more safer than piggybacks IMO

but if your set on a piggyback then the vafc

Well, if it's a D16Y8 then it's probably OBD2, which doesn't really have the option of just throwing a chip in there. He can get it re-flashed or use a standalone, or convert down to OBD1, or just tune as best as possible with a piggy-back. As far as which one is better between those two, I don't really know... :shrug2:

so whats so unsafe about a piggy back if im getting it pro tuned by a place that specializes in hondas? speedquest in waukegan, il does lots of turbo hondas that run 11's

It's not "unsafe" per say, it's just not going to be anywhere near as thorough as what you can do with a chipped OBD1 ECU. You're not boosted though, so you might be able to get a decent enough tune with a piggyback if the tuner knows what he's doing.

Why don't you just ask the place that's going to tune it which system they recommend or prefer? That's probably what I would do...

Honestly I don't know. I was mostly responding to Injen's comment. That's why I suggested you call the tuner and ask. They might have a suggestion or prefer one to the other.

Is the Neo cheaper?

neo is the more expenisve newer one. but i got it as cheap as the vafc1 i own.

the problem is i cant remember if the neo has daily driver and race mode. to be able to switch.

i just remember someone saying one of them has 2 modes that you can switch from.

IMO that DD and race mod shit is dumb...
and piggybacks just arent as in-depth as chipped ecu's
and if by anychance anything goes bad,,your settings will be dropped and your fucked

IMO that DD and race mod shit is dumb...
and piggybacks just arent as in-depth as chipped ecu's
and if by anychance anything goes bad,,your settings will be dropped and your fucked

Having multiple tunes is smart. I guess not so much for a mild N/A build, but for boost definitely. You can have one setting for the street that limits the boost level so you can have traction and maintain somewhat decent gas mileage, and then another setting for the track (when you're running your slicks) with the boost jacked up and fuel adjusted to accommodate it.

Makes sense to me... :shrug2: But yeah...a chipped and fully tuned ECU is definitely superior to anything that can be accomplished on a piggyback...

hahaha thank you.

No problem! :thumbsup:

Back