1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Adjustments

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by endlesszeal, Feb 6, 2004.

1. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

whoa, what a new look for hondaswap, but wheres the AIM Chat link??? anyway, i was wondering how hard is a valve adjustment.. i think i really need one bad because it starts to clink and whine.. so i was wondering if i can do it myself?? im pretty much a DIY kinda guy and somewhat compatent (sp?) in automotive.. if so, what do i do?? specs? oh yeah, and one more thing, how hard is it to change my timing belt?? thanks a lot guys.

2. YouKnowWhoIBee

YouKnowWhoIBee my avatar is better.

i want to know also i think i need to do it too. I have a d16z6 if that matters? someone please help...

3. 5genracer

5genracer Senior Member

It isnt' that hard to do the valve adjustment. You will need a feeler gauge to do it, though. Timing belt isn't too bad either. Your best bet is to go buy yourself a Haynes or Chiltons manual for your car and read on how to do it. Also try here:
    http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/valvead...valveadjust.php
    You didn't say if it was for a SOHC or a DOHC, but it is pretty much the same for both.

4. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

snapon sells a nice valve adjustment tool for honda's too

5. tab

tab Super Moderator

on a SOHC engine, it's not that hard. You do need to check the clearances IN ORDER. The chiltons manual explains it pretty well. If you know what you're doing, the timing belt wouldn't be that bad either. But, if you haven't done one before, or have help, I'd think about it first. It all depends how confident you feel at mechanics. There are two belts, a lot of gears, and everything has to be in the right place when the new belts go on.

That means:
    The crank, camshaft, and two balancer shafts all have to be in the right position. There is a bolt in the back of your block that needs to be removed in order to hold one balancer shaft in place.

It all makes sense when you do it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted