Valve carnage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
Long time no post.... hope everyone is doing good.

so i'm driving out of burgerking and dropped 2 valves.

lsv
82mm, b16 head, gsrcams, jg spring and retainers, b16 pistons

carnage

DSCF4468.JPG

DSCF4474.JPG

DSCF4475.JPG

DSCF4477.JPG

DSCF4478.JPG

I am going with a 99-00 spec b20 from hmotors 749+250shp.

all that is going into it are the oil and water pumps from the old block since the are new oem units along with a new gsr timingbelt. Also my friend has an LS IM and i have a 68mm TB that should fit it nicely.

i have no idea what harness ill need since i have an b16 unit now and the plugs for the dizzy are different. so if any one does know please help me out.

but other than a new oem chip for the p28 i should be golden..

:(

Wow man.. Thats some hard core damage. Poor motor! Hope you get it on the road again quickly!

Any idea why? What RPM were you at?

Last edited:
i believe that the valve lash was set to tight by the machine shop that changed the cams. i was at around 6k taking a sip of my soda and about to change gears.

ive been searching for the harness answer but i cant find the answer. i'm pretty sure a regular dseries harness will work but i have no idea...

Always use the harness that is in the car when doing a swap and add or extend any wires needed. In your case there will be extra wires and plugs for Vtec related sensors. Just tie them back out of the way, that way they are still there if you go Vtec. You will need a P75 ECU from LS motor. This is the best ECU to use on the B20 but it does run it a little lean so a light tuning would be good. Save all the mount brackets one the engine block and trans and use these on the B20.

Sorry but not true. All OBD2 dizzy plugs are the same. My D16 harness is 98% the same plug wise as my new B18. The only plug I need to chage is the B18 Air Intake Temp Sensor plug. Now if you are doing a OBD0 or OBD1 into a OBD2 car ect. then yes there will be several plug differences including the dizzy. In this case it is easiest to call Hasport and order a harness for your needs. Doing things the wrong way means you will only need to do it over again. Get the P75 ECU it is OBD2 the P28 is OBD1 and will not pass inspection and is not legal. Use a SAFC to tune out the slightly lean condition if you want. Keep things legal and friendly to the enviroment.

dude please.
i am speaking from experience, when i took out my d16 to install the lsv i HAD TO GET AN SI HARNESS BECAUSE THE DISTRIBUTOR PLUGS ARE DIFFERENT. honda decided to change them between B and D series

also a b20 swap is not a "legal" swap as it is and i dont have to do any inspections in florida.

thanks for the "advice" though

No inspections you are so lucky. As aside not Florida needs to get green. You can make it an emissions friendly swap with the right OBD and ECU. I have a 98 HX with the stock D16y5 and the dizzy plug is the same as my B18b1. Just saying this so others will know. What year is your Civic???

I think you fail to realize 95% of people in Florida drive cars that aren't even 5 years old... well at least before this economy.

did the block crack? why not just replace the piston/rod and try again ?

No inspections you are so lucky. As aside not Florida needs to get green. You can make it an emissions friendly swap with the right OBD and ECU. I have a 98 HX with the stock D16y5 and the dizzy plug is the same as my B18b1. Just saying this so others will know. What year is your Civic???

Anywhere that has emission testing a B20 swap is illegal because it is considered a truck motor.

:dunno: I dont have any sort of emission testing where I live so Im not too worried about all the technicalities.

B, the block was bored to 82mm and it has a major dent on the cylinder. but i might just use another bare block that i have and buy another head... with ctr pistons and the pro2 cams.
i dont know yet....

You know if you had a shop do the head work and adjust the valves then you have a major motor failure due to that. The shop should be liable for the replacement/repair costs. A good shop would have given you some kind of warranty on their work. Even a good performance shop will do this on a built motor so long as they built it. I would be having some words with the owner of that shop.

i wont go that route, i know he fucked up and that's all i need.

i will never go there and ill tell every one i know that kissimmee cylinder head shop AKA J&Y machine shop in kissimmee sucks. but when ive told some of my friends they told me every one knew they sucked already. from what i hear
engines they assemble break down at the track all the time.

the engine never had the right CR or timing for the set up and the guys at cft told me that the engine wouldnt last too long . i took a chance because i didnt want to throw any more money at it and it lasted 8 months.

now ill get the b20 i can use 87 petrol use it for a while then probably sell the it and get a 09 wrx.

Back