Valve Cover Breather

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Helloween2006

I just installed a Cold Air Intake onto a 93 Honda Del Sol Si (D16Z6, 1.6L SOHC Vtec), i have a hose going from the back of the valve cover into the intake tube. I was wondering if i remove the hose and install a little filter onto the valve cover, will it cause a problem with pressure, sensoring or anything else?. I want to do this so i can remove the hot air going into the intake tube from the engine.

I had one, I smelled buring oil every once in a while, so I checked it and it was clogged with oil, and was dripping down onto the back of the block and burning. ill never use one again(theres prolly somethin wrong with my engine, its a piece, im going to rebuild it soon as i get money.

i had a filter on mine, and put the hose back in. it seems to me that it would be able to complete the vacuum, since your car had it originally, it should be better that way. i could be wrong though

Originally posted by Helloween2006+Oct 8 2004, 12:23 AM-->
I just installed a Cold Air Intake onto a 93 Honda Del Sol Si (D16Z6, 1.6L SOHC Vtec), i have a hose going from the back of the valve cover into the intake tube. I was wondering if i remove the hose and install a little filter onto the valve cover, will it cause a problem with pressure, sensoring or anything else?. I want to do this so i can remove the hot air going into the intake tube from the engine.
[post=399899]Quoted post[/post]​

You won't have any problems if you remove the hose and plug the line going into the intake. I would just leave it connected though. Your intake is under vacuum while the valvetrain is under pressure. The port on the valve cover is meant to relieve that pressure. The vacuum in the intake helps to promote evacuation of the pressure in the head, plus it keeps unfiltered emissions from escaping your engine without being routed into the exhaust system. Without the intake pulling from the valve cover, you're just exposing the valvetrain to higher pressure from ambient air under the hood. Oh well, it doesn't really make much difference.

You won't trip any sensors or error codes if you remove the hose and put on a filter, but I would honestly just leave the hose hooked up.

cycloneb18c3
@Oct 8 2004, 01:23 PM
I had one, I smelled buring oil every once in a while, so I checked it and it was clogged with oil, and was dripping down onto the back of the block and burning. ill never use one again(theres prolly somethin wrong with my engine, its a piece, im going to rebuild it soon as i get money.
[post=400128]Quoted post[/post]​

That port pushes air out, and since the valvetrain is constantly thrashing oil around, you're going to shoot some oil out of the filter. Some people have told me that they could see a fine oil mist coming from their breather filters while running the engine at high speeds on a dyno, but I've never experienced this. I'm not surprised that you were dripping oil on the back of the block. Your breather filter just got saturated and needed to be changed, that's all.

Ya, I'd say keep it on there, the only reason that I could see for taking it off, is if you got a sealed oil-catch can system. Otherwise leave it on, since (for Mass. and Cali guys) the emissions guys really check for that. I replaced my cracked rubber hose with reinforced hi-temp plastic hose, and the guy at the inspection booth asked me about it. I probably would've failed had I not had it hooked up.

Originally posted by EGProject@Oct 9 2004, 08:56 AM
Ya, I'd say keep it on there, the only reason that I could see for taking it off, is if you got a sealed oil-catch can system. Otherwise leave it on, since (for Mass. and Cali guys) the emissions guys really check for that. I replaced my cracked rubber hose with reinforced hi-temp plastic hose, and the guy at the inspection booth asked me about it. I probably would've failed had I not had it hooked up.
[post=400471]Quoted post[/post]​

ive never had an inspection where they popped my hood.

Back