Valve guides.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magana559

The Warden
Well my new buiild eats oil.....lots of oil! takes about 1qt every 300 miles and the oil goes black within 500 miles.

Fresh rebuild 82mm LS block with 11.5:1 comp ratio BC 403 cams, JG LS head. Compression test is 230 225 220 and 225 all good, Also notice my copper plugs being fouled by brown residue with no visible oil. now I have Iridium plugs with no more brown residue and no visible oil. Also Blow white smoke at high rpm.....coolant level stays the same so no headgasket issue.

The only thing that I didnt touch were the Valve guides and valves. So what I ask you guys is what should I do? How can I fix this and were can I get quality Valve guides?

Also should I also replace the valves when replacing the valve guides?

Tight on money so would it be cheaper to get a LSV kit and retune?

Don't need to replace the valves ; just the guides. Most aftermarket valve guides are the same with differences probably being the cut(some have a taper at the end to help with flow). I don't know the specifics of what's done to install them but I had a shop do mine.

BTW, it may just be bad valve seals which are cheaper and easier to install(though requires removing valve springs). Worn guides usually results in freeplay(you can wobble it by hand).

thats the thing, I replaced the seals when I rebuilt the engine. Would they really go bad that fast? Im burning way too much damn oil! 4.50 a qt I seriously cant afford it and I bet my valves are gunked all to hell.

I would pull the head redo the seals and get the guides done should be good to go

Back