valve head cover gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aphex301

when removing and installing the valve head cover, is it always nessasary to replace the gasket every time the cover is taken off?

No, unless if was applied with a sealant and it breaks when coming off. But it is a good idea to replace the spark plug access gaskets as oil will build up in your spark plug wells. Just make sure it is in good shape if you are going to reuse it.

are you trying to take the head off or the valve cover? if you're pulling the head off, you should replace the gasket but if it's only the valve cover re-read 92b16's post.

when i pull the valve cover off i just apply some copper sealant and put the valve cover back on. you have to let the sealant sit for a little bit before you re-install the valve cover.

i was gonna take the cover off to polish and paint it. then i was gonna put it back on, and just in case i didnt like the way it looked i would just take it back off and re-use the gasket. put common sense just hit me, and usually when the cover comes off so does bits and peices of the gasket. so ill just make sure that i do a good job the first time, buy the gasket, and stop trying to be a cheap-ass.

well after it comes back from getting painted I would inspect the gasket, and if it's a little tough crunchy like, brittle then I would just replace it...

Originally posted by 199IntegraBuildUpH22A3@Sep 10 2003, 04:00 PM
Or you could just leave it alone and not "polish and paint it" what good does it do?

Didnt you know that engine dress-up adds 20 more horsepower....Geez!

Why else would I go through the trouble of taking off my valve cover.

If your painting the valve cover, replace the gasket. I wouldnt take the chance of getting hot oil all over fresh paint. Then youll just have to do it over agian.

hondabond is good enough if the gasket looks ok, just put the hondabond where the "corners" are, where the cam humps are.

20 horse, Holy.... Mang, someone help me send meall the left over paint so I can get 20 horses. I'm kidding, im thinking we have a ricer on our hands... it if isnt performance oriented then it's RICE. haha

why don't you just buy a TypeR valve cover or a spoon/mugen/jun/etc.
the typeR will only add about as much HP as painting yours, but for the $800 or so price tag that one of the others will set you back you will get like 50hp to the wheels no problem.... and you will get laid!

Oh hell yeah, where can i get a spoon valve cover!!!!
For only 800 bucks i can get a cool look, 50 horsepower, and a chance to get laid.
What a steal!
:bday:

Back