valve job

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16civic

ok i was driven home and my motor started to make a noise so i let it sit. i got to lookin at and i think it is comin from the head. it was a real loud tappin like noise. it almost has to be a valve seat or guide has came loose. i thought at first it dropped a valve but it doesnt miss and it still runs fine. does anybody know about how much a valve job would be. or if it could be anything else.

man i just got a valvejob done on my b16a2 due to to much boost burnt a valve
anyways it costed me $200 at a machine shop for valve job cleaning head and alitte
porting on the intake side

im runnin 89 octane and did that include the valves and all that

what would runnin low grade cause it to do im sure puttin high octane in it isnt goin to stop it from makin noise. i can hear and feel a tap in it.

well it does it sometimes i thought my h22a needed a vavle job but when i tooh it to my local shop the guy asked what grade i was running and i told him 87 he told me to put 93 in and when i did it went away

well it cant hurt but even if it dont fix it i would run 93 grader in a jdm motor anyhow

when was the last time you did an oil change, and what type of oil did you use. both the protege and prelude do that when i cheap out and go with supertech (walmart) oil. If i go back to Penzoil and and Mobile 1 Synthetic (respectively) the tap goes away.

could be spark knock...you failed to mention if you've advanced your timing at all..detonation can cause this noise and 93 octane will make it go away. that and don't be cheap on the oil...that would be like "well i'll just use water for lubrication instead of oil cause it's cheaper..." go for some castrol gtx..with lucas stabilizer. that will turn the shittiest oil into decent stuff.

alright i havent taken the head off yet so ill do an oil change and get some 93 octane in it to see what happens thanks guys

can u have spark knock in only one cylinder. it sounds like its comin from the #4 cylinder. it also gets louder the longer i let it run.

no. spark knock is in all cylinders. this is due to too high compression and shitty fuel or too much timing and shitty fuel.

low compression in a single cylinder can cause a knock in a single cylinder. Probably could run a compression test and narrow down that problem.

i think i forgot to mention that when i pulled tha plugs out the one in the fourth cylinder was melted. the tip of plug where the spark jumps to was melted off. i just thought i would mention this incase it would help narrow the problem down any. thanks

id check the firing order and make sure its right, sounds like pre-ignition. after that, run a compression test. you will probably have the answers you need after you do those two things. And if it needs to be said, replace the spark plugs.

i know its not the firing order. and that was the first thing i thought to do incase maybe that was it.but thanks

Back