valve job

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16civic

ok i just replaced the motor in my eg civic. i put a clutch and fly wheel in it. when i first started runnin it would burn first and second. now it barely chirps 2nd. i think is just enough to be messin up my valves slowly. i want to put new valves in it like skunk 2. i dont know if i have to have new springs or not. i know it wouldnt hurt to have it but i also want a cam gear and maybe a cam. does anybody have any opinions. also how far could i shave the head without hurting the motor.

i was hopin that cause i already ordered a skunk2. thanks tho. what is the best cam to get and still be reliable.

i got an adjustable cam gear what is the best setting for the cam timing.right now i have it retarded 2 degrees. it feels like it pulls hard in 1st 2nd and 3rd but not fourth. i live in a very hilly area so i need it to run good in 4th and 5th. when i had it advanced 2 it didnt have as much pull on the bottom end. also i dont know how to adjust the ignition timing does anyone know how. thanks

You adjust your ignition timing throught the distributor. You loosen up the 3 bolts and retard or advance it. Unless you are tuning with hondata or crome which you could do electronically. Without some reliable way of measuring horsepower you cant really detirmine which setting is best for your setup. But obviously if it feels alot stronger set one way then the other that will be the best way to go. If you want to go faster in 4th and 5th try making alot more power and torque!

i know about the 3 bolts but cant u use a timing light or something. and is it best to advance or retard the timing to make more power. i kinda want more power down low for short distance racing but im not sure what to do.

Advancing timing at the distributor might help to make more top end horsepower at the sacrifice of some bottom end power. I just suggest leaving your timing at factory settings. If you want more power do some major mods, maybe some boost. That would satisfy your quest for power. Playing with the timing is going to give you minimal power gains for what you have. You would feel more of a performance boost with having one less person in your car then having your timing set perfectly with your setup!

Last edited:
Seems like there's nothing wrong with your car. The clutch is broken in already and that's how they work. My car did the same, so did other people who got new clutches. If you want it to chirp, etc. all the time, get a stronger clutch and cheaper tires.

i advanced it 2 more degrees and retarded the timing and it made a crazy difference. i changed the motor and when i did i put a new timing belt on it. i also put in a stage 2 clutch and 7 pound flywheel. then i got a cold air intake and ran a full exhaust. then i got a cam gear. the only reason i got the cam gear is because i changed the timing belt when i put the new motor in. then i did this stuff and it ran better stock so i figured it was outta time. it had no bottom end and 4th and 5th sucked. i got it set now though. also does anyone know if a d16z6 has zero clearance or not. when i put the cam gear on i had to fabricate my own key for the keyway and im worried if it will hold. thanks. i also want to turbo it but i dont quite have the know how to do it. iv studied the posts about building homade turbos but i cant afford to ruin my motor.

Back