valve lash

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typesiracing

on a b16 head what is the specs on the valve lash (intake and exhaust) and is there a way to do it without the suggested special tool?

The spcs are...

0.15-0.19mm (0.006-0.007 in.) on the intake side

0.17-0.21mm (0.007-0.008 in.) on the exhaust side

And you don't have to have the Honda tool, but you have to have something like it. B16 on here made one, and a couple others, using a box end, cutting the head off, and then rewelding it at an angle.

The aftermarket tool is even better than the Honda one. Check out Snap-on's web site. I think the Blue-point version is about 40.00.

Thanks i had some honda tech...telling me there is no special tool and he has done many before without one...thanks

I use a GearRatchet set and a screwdriver. It costs less than the Snap-On tool, is much more useful, and works every bit as well.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 10 2004, 09:40 PM
B16 on here made one, and a couple others, using a box end, cutting the head off, and then rewelding it at an angle.

you actually heat it with a torch and bend the head to 90 deg. and i didn't do it myself, i bought it off some guy for like $8 shipped off honda tech. :)

and set the lash to the lower side of the reccomended specs as this will let the valve open a bit more. more lift, more power.

Originally posted by DTEC@Apr 12 2004, 04:29 PM
and set the lash to the lower side of the reccomended specs as this will let the valve open a bit more. more lift, more power.

Less noise :)

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 12 2004, 01:54 AM
I use a GearRatchet set and a screwdriver. It costs less than the Snap-On tool, is much more useful, and works every bit as well.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

me too, it wasn't nearly as hard as i thought it would be. done it to both a b-series and d-series. pretty simple and it ony took like 45 min my first time and now i am sure it would take much less.

Make sure you lash properly I had a first timer friend over tighten and it caused it exhaust valve to stay open just enough. There was not power and no vtec. He is lucky he didn't bend the valve.

i have done it before i just never did it on a vtec....the nuts are so deep in the head and difficult to get at w/o a socket

Back