valve spring removal and install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bcreez

when changing valve springs on any dohc vtec is it absolutley necessary to remove the head, or is it the only way that changing them can be done? is there some special tool where it can be done whith head still on the block?
Also, i've got crower 63402-a's and getting crower dual valve springs will stock retainers work or will stock retainers not fit with the crower's???
thanks!!!!!!

If you are going to change your springs, get the retainers too. Trust me buddy, i've seen stock retainers break with the high tolerances that upgraded springs have. And its best to remove the head, it can be done without removing it but if a valve slips and falls into one of the cylinders, you will have to remove it anyway. Besides, the head is going to be apart will you change the springs, i would recommend getting the valve seats refinished/re-surfaced. Also a nice port and polish wouldn't hurt. :p

You have a couple of options (no it is no easier to remove the head). You can use a compressor to keep pressure in the cylinder where you are working or you can use a piece of rope that will fit in the spark plug hole, drape some into the cylinder while the piston is about half way up then bring the piston as close to TDC as you can with the rope in the combustion chamber, that will hold your valves up. Just make sure that you can remove the rope easliy from the combustion chamber when you are done (leave some of it out of the engine).

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 15 2003, 10:33 PM
You have a couple of options (no it is no easier to remove the head). You can use a compressor to keep pressure in the cylinder where you are working or you can use a piece of rope that will fit in the spark plug hole, drape some into the cylinder while the piston is about half way up then bring the piston as close to TDC as you can with the rope in the combustion chamber, that will hold your valves up. Just make sure that you can remove the rope easliy from the combustion chamber when you are done (leave some of it out of the engine).

ok ive read that over and over, maybe im just retarded, but whats the point of putting rope into the combustion chamber?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Oct 16 2003, 09:34 AM-->
@Oct 15 2003, 10:33 PM

ok ive read that over and over, maybe im just retarded, but whats the point of putting rope into the combustion chamber?

To give the valves something softer than the pistons to sit on and to make sure that is you drop a valve you don't have to pull the head to pick it up. The rope holds the valves in place and you don't have to worry about letting all the compressed air out of the combustion chamber.

they have valve spring compresors at auto zone that you can rent for like $20 and you get all your money back (cool) but when you use the compresor use it on the spring not the spring and the retainer. also when putting the new springs on put a little grease on the retainer lock so they will hold on to the valve stem it makes it much easier. :D

so what kind is it, do you have a pic? i am just gonna buy one cause i plan to work on a lot of honda's so it will just be easier to have my own.

snap on makes a real nice one, you need to pick up the adapter parts from honda though.

are the springs set back in the head a bit cuz if they are the one i showed probly wont work sorry saturn :(

I seen a Sir tools (company name) valve spring compressor set form the low low price of $174.99, bob that's only 30 low payments of $5.83 buy now and we'll throw in a free nothing except making your ass pay for over sea shipping, that is the one I found but im sure some one makes one in the us makes one for less. :p

dude, just take it to a shop, it only costed me 60 bucks to get the valve springs and retaines i got from crower put in. u should also get new valve seals/guides and a 3 angle valve grind while ur there. i got all that done and the head decked 20 thou for 300 canadian. great deal!

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Oct 16 2003, 06:19 PM
valve spring compressor

None of those compressors will work with the head on the engine. Most won't work on a Honda head at all. I tried every one of them when I replaced all that. I ended up making my own setup using the Honda specialty tools and a $20 C clamp from Home Despot. Again that setup is only good with the head off the engine. Otherwise you need to use the style of compressor that B16 mentioned.

dude, just take it to a shop, it only costed me 60 bucks to get the valve springs and retaines i got from crower put in. u should also get new valve seals/guides and a 3 angle valve grind while ur there. i got all that done and the head decked 20 thou for 300 canadian. great deal!

None of that is necessary if he is not replacing valves.

thanks lsvtec. so where should i order the specialty tools from?

what are they called? how much should i expect to pay?

thanks. :)

Back