1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve spring removal tool?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by cheese9988, Apr 11, 2006.

1. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

Trying to remove the valves. I have tried two spring compressers from sears, and overhead cam type and a ohv type, both don't work. Anyone know of one that will remove springs from a dohc zc?

2. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

I used both styles that I rented from autozone, and had to use a pick to get the keepers out. I tired the one they had thats huge. one that holds the valve from under the head and pushes the spring, and the one that you clamp on the spring and screw it down. its a pain but both work about the same.

3. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Get a small magnetic pickup tool (auto zone has em for like $3.00 or something) Those are gold for pulling those keepers out. Keeps you from dropping/losing em too.

4. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

when you go to reinstall, use the same magnetic tool,

smear some assembly grease on the inside of hte keeper

put both keepers on the magnetic tool ( as if they were installed like this () ).

then, move them into place grab a pair of long needle nose pliers and kinda of gently crimp the keepers on the end of hte valve stem then, relieve pressure and all should seal well.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted