valve springs Q:

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luky1380

Hi all
im new in here and kind of new to hondas so dont hate me for what im asking and please :worthyp: dont send me to a search box because i already tried that and i didnt get anywere
i got a 00 si not long ago, mostly it will be my daily driver but im planning to take it to the race track few times a year (not a 1/4 mile but the real one with turns) where car will be under load over 5000-6000rpms for about 30min
so the question is: car has s2s1 cams on it and i just replaced my ecu for PCT because P2t took a dump and my friend had PCT so he just gave it to me.
So im wondering is it going to be safe to run s2s1's with PCT red line and stock valve springs (if im correct its at 8600 and fuel cutoff at 8900 and ill be hitting 8900 alot) or should i replace valve springs (i know i should to be safe but if i ca avoid spending more money and time that will be nice)
and if yes which should i use i was looking at skunk2 or Supertech
and another 1 when i removed valve cover out to adjust valves it has dual springs on intake and exhaust, is it stock or some1 has done them already, and how i know that it is s2s1 cams is there any markings on them???
thanks for any info

basic mods:
CAI, headers highflow cat, 2.5 greedy catback, s2s1 with adjustable gears, PCT ECU, stage1 SPEC clutch, 8,6lb flywheel

IMO, you shouldnt be running stock valve springs w/ those cams in the first place

IMO, find some CTR/ITR valve springs and use those

Sounds like you have aftermarket or ITR springs as the 00si came with singles on the exhaust side.

I think if you search H-T for the markings on the S2S1 cams you'll find something, or call skunk2. I used to have a set but that was like 10 years ago and I don't remember. :p I ran those cams on ITR springs/retainers.

how do i know if ill be safe with springs i got now at 9000rpm can ITR spring handle 9k rpm
is Supertech make good springs???

hmmm... i heard thats stock cams stop making power around 7800-8000 but stage1 skunk2' make power all the way up to almost 9k, or i was mislead on that info???

I think you were mislead; most of those("low stage") cams were designed with stock rev limits in mind; they don't rev any higher but are supposed to pick up power throughout the stock rpm band. Maybe they were thinking about Pro Series/Pro 1s?

I have skunk2 springs, fine so far. No many miles on the motor yet though.

As others said, the skunk2 stage1 tuner series is only slightly more aggressive than a set of CTR cams. It is the skunk2 pro1's that make more power up top.

Thanks for the info
B16 u got a sweet delsol I can see u run with NASA time trials
I do same thing with SCCA plus some extra track time here and there and it's nice to see some1 who dos same thing because for me personally 1/4mi time dosnt meen anything(that's for people who dosnt know to turn) because I'm pretty sure I can take on any 12-11 sec car at any day on the road course and not going to stay behind
Thanks again for a warm welcome

Thanks! Another track junkie. We have a couple others here like GSRCRXSi and vtecsir1. Although those guys spend more time dicking around with their cars than actually driving on track.. LOL

At least he takes his DD out every once in a while.. lol

. Although those guys spend more time dicking around with their cars than actually driving on track.. LOL

LOL thats true "oh yeh im a badass i did 2 12sec passes that was a lot of fun(hmmm... yeh hall 24sec of it)and than my rod came through the block, oh well time to go fix it for the next 24sec's season..."

Thanks! Another track junkie. We have a couple others here like GSRCRXSi and vtecsir1. Although those guys spend more time dicking around with their cars than actually driving on track.. LOL

owned lol hey at least I havent been building my car for like 5 years like someone up north :ph34r:

I was at Sebring like umm a year ago damn. I dont drag race btw either does gsrcrxsi.

Supertech I will not support after how things went down with my last build when they admitted their springs werent strong enough for pro 1 cams which helped cause broken Supertech retainers.

Skunk 2, Ferrera, or Brian Crower valve springs and retainers.

It sounds like you will be fine revving in the mid 8k range if you have dual valve springs and decent retainers. I wouldnt go revving the piss out of a mostly stock motor though or you will end up rebuilding it.

Last edited:
Back