1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

valve springs + retainers

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by PLA5151, Jul 9, 2005.

1. PLA5151

PLA5151 New Member

what is a strong brand of aftermarket valve springs and retainers? Does anything really vary at all between different manufacturers?

2. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

:yes:

All brands are different, some better than others. Some brands use dual valvesprings, some use one. Crower claims to use the strongest titanium of any manufacturer, some companys use too high of a spring rate, some others, not enough. In my opinion, it is best to match your valvetrain with your cams... ie, crower cams = crower springs and retainers. Skunk 2 = skunk 2. etc.... All companys test their cams with their own springs, so you know the spring rate is correct for that amount of lift in that cam....

I would stay with crower, skunk 2, comp/zex, jun, and other well know brands... Stay away from no-namers like blox, etc....

3. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

I just installed portflow dual valve springs and TI retainers to my Bserise this weekend. Was not very difficult. Pretty stright foward. They are highly recomended by many experienced people on this site. I do understand what SOHC is saying and it makes sense by I would not solely base my opinion on it. It also (as everything does) has a lot to do with what you are planning to do with the car.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted