1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Stem Seals...

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by MaaseyRacer, May 30, 2003.

1. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

Alright I changed my oil this morning only to find that I have been burning a shit load of oil. I knew I was burning oil, but not this much. So after a few tests and some driving i have determined that my problem is my valve stem seals. So what I want to know is who hear has changed them, I know it is not that hard, but I want to know what type I should use? Should I use OEM? Should I try some aftermarket teflon kind? Any suggestion from any one would be awesome.

Oh yeah BTW - I have an 89 civic DX with an MPFI swap and a CAI

2. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

I have changed my own. Use OEM. You have to pull the valve springs and retainers to get the seals off.

3. MaaseyRacer

anyone else do this???

4. junhondasi

junhondasi Member

it is actually a pretty good idea to have a machine shop that has done something like this before because u want them to deck your head boil the head and do at least a 3 angle valve job and at the same time they can pull apart and put together your head with the right tools because u can't get away using your dads lawnmower valve spring compressor. but u probably wont spend more than 350 in labor and it'll be brand new and u can just slap it back on the block. usually places like napa have a few shops to recomend in your local area good luck.
    :huh:

5. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

wtf? :blink:

6. junhondasi

junhondasi Member

if u dont know what im talking about when u deck the head u r checking just to make sure that the bottom is true it is a good idea to check every time u remove your head or if u ever had a overheating problem they can warp over time and boiling is a way they take all parts off the head and completely clean it inside and out and usually will put a new seal coating on it so it looks so wonderfully new and scence u have it all apart get a valve job 3 or 5 angle is usually the way people have the valves machined to have them the absolute smoothest longest lasting surface. sweet huh and while u r at it rob a bank and get new cams and springs/retainers u will ad 20 to 40 extra horses depending on type and brand.
    <_<

7. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

i know what all of it is... it's just a bit of overkill for just replacing the valveseals. and you're not gonna pull 20-40 hp from cams on a 100 hp engine.

8. junhondasi

junhondasi Member

not if u use jdm but there are claims from jun and skunk 2 that if u do there head kit (type lll) full kit yes u can get that kind of power. I personally gained 47 from the full jun kit on a b16a2 with stock injectors and there computer. (last year) i have a lightly diffrent settup this year 192 to the wheels all motor baby. :worthy:

9. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

If new seals is all you need (meaning you haven't burned a valve or fuxored you guides) just install new seals. Unless you plan on building this engine. If that is the case then what you have here is a good excuse to start replacing the valve train with better components. :)

There is a huge difference between claiming 40 hp gains from just cams and claiming a 40 hp gain from a head/ecu package.

10. MaaseyRacer

uh yeah i was just going to replace the seals so that the engine would hold me over till i do a swap...

11. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

rightfully so :) fuck a d-series

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted