Valve upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YBLEGAL

Regular Member w/ Cheese
Howdy fellas.

Wed. the 9th my car's goin back to my mechanic because of some problems I can't diagnose.

1. I have a clicking, sounds like a stone rattling around. But not tranny related, continues w/ clutch to floor.
2. Oil has gone missing, no sign of leak or burning.
3. White smoke appears when 7~8k rpm under load, never neutral.
4. IAT sensor isn't wired or has a problem in it's circuit. I'm too lazy to work on this one.
5. TPS voltages create odd run. Like, if the voltage is below .80v, I have a rev point at 1500rpm. The lower you turn it, the more "raw" the car gets. At .45v you <u>cannot</u> maintain a constant speed.

Anyway, something tells me my valves arn't doing what they should and are the culprit of the missing oil and clicking.

Has anyone used Omni valvetrain products? Like springs, retainers, valves?

Recommend me an other valvetrain parts?

I've got a B16 from a JDM '95 SiR II w/ all stock internals, Hondata, full exhaust, cai, tb.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright will do the leak down. He probably will, and I'm not ordering anything till he tells me the current ones are the problem.

Do the omni's allow you to rev any higher than stock (already 8k)?

Eventually I wanna turbo this thing, and I'm gonna wait till then to get new cams. Can you get any spring set even if you don't have modified cams? Like, to me, Toda's better, and I wanted to get their springs. Does that work?

Does it hurt to get high compression valves when i'm running stock compression still? (10.4:1)

If I have to replace them, should I just go all out and buy the valve/spring/retainer/guide set I want when I do turbo? Or buy these then after the literal year or 2 till I get my turbo replace them?

Thanks!! I know I have lots of questions. This is my first delv into valvetrain stuff. Any write ups or informative article links are mucho appriciated!

The Omni's don't allow higher rev(they don't weigh any less, this is more dependent on the valvesprings if anything), but they do allow a tad higher flow since they're undercut. Almost any aftermarket valvespring set from a reputable company will work fine with a stock cam; So yes, the Toda's will work fine. You can get them in pieces; but it's recommended you do the guides at the same time as the valves.

"high compression" valves barely make a difference in the overall compression ratio; don't worry about it.

well yeah i noticed the difference between a high compression and standard is they remove the concave area on the bottom. I thought there was a material difference that allowed it to withstand the compression levels better or something.

What are the best valves you can get? What's the best material to strive for? Steel? Recommend a good guide set? Inlinefour.com has a bronze set, but requires a machinest because they're slightly oversized.

Thanks some more!

Back