Valvetrain wear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I know you said you had the valve set right but what is that at?

You talking valve lash? I had that set at .008in .007ex, or whatever the OEM spec is (also recommended by SK2)

Big cams are known to eat rockers but I havent seen that portion eaten like that.

It looks like its binding, you said valve float which is a possibility even with the higher strength valve springs. 9200 rpms is 153 revs per second so this could have easily happened when you raised that limiter up possibly having some float...I could be wrong but its a theory.

As long as the lash was pretty close its fine, I was curious because it was only a couple out of the 4 so it sounded like possibly 2 could have been off.

I was curious because it was only a couple out of the 4 so it sounded like possibly 2 could have been off.

When I pulled it apart I discovered that the damage is consistent at all 4 locations on the exhaust cam. I originally thought it was the 2 due to the head being assembled and poor visibility.

When I pulled it apart I discovered that the damage is consistent at all 4 locations on the exhaust cam. I originally thought it was the 2 due to the head being assembled and poor visibility.

ahh I missed that when I was replying I guess.

That sucks, rockers arent cheap. I hope you dont put new ones in and then it does it again.

So after doing more detective work, I remember that I pulled the valve cover around the end of August to check things over. I had checked the lash - OK, and took this pic. It appears that the wear was happening several months ago. I was stupid and thought that it was part of the wear-in process.

From AUGUST
DSCN2204.jpg

Damn, how old is the head?

Get some better oil too. I was running 15-50 mobil 1 with zinc and phosphorus daily driving.

Currently running amsoil dominator race oil...Im not daily driving though,

Last edited:
I guess its time to run better oil. Been running the cheap penzoil in all of my cars with zero problems. The head isn't that old. Its a 96 spec itr head from an imported Hmotors motor. There was one previous owner who beat the shit out of it. The bottom end had been an inch of being grenaded. Still, the head looked fine 3500 miles ago.

Get some zddp for your oil..
Google it and read up..
I had it happen in my b16 with supertech springs and crower stage 3's, I dremeled the pads even and smooth added the zddp to my mobile 1 synthec and didn't have any problems up to the cam snapping..
I only had lifter wear though..

Last edited:
I'm going to buy a used b16 head off of craigslist and harvest the rockers off of there. That is unless I can get a smokin deal on new rockers at work.

Then I'll take fine grit sand paper to the cams and take out any rough spots. There really aren't any, just visual heat/wear marks.

Most importantly, I need to track down the root cause, which I feel is oil starvation. Trying to find oil system diagrams now. I'll look in to the additive you are suggesting.

I'm going to buy a used b16 head off of craigslist and harvest the rockers off of there. That is unless I can get a smokin deal on new rockers at work.

Then I'll take fine grit sand paper to the cams and take out any rough spots. There really aren't any, just visual heat/wear marks.

Most importantly, I need to track down the root cause, which I feel is oil starvation. Trying to find oil system diagrams now. I'll look in to the additive you are suggesting.

make sure you keep the rocker assembly all togeather, if not you might have problems with vtec.

Do not use sand paper, Just take it to a machine shop and have them smooth it out.

I NEVER HEARD OF A BREAK-IN AT HIGH RPM!!!!!!
YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DRIVE THE CAR NORMAL!!!!!!
IT IS Suppose to be tuned for Air & fuel after a 1000 miles so everything is working efficiently. Nothing to gain power from.
After the break-in reached 3k miles, then you tuned. Some people do it to 5k just to be safe.
And the clearance could be wrong as well if you went by stock specs and not the specs you are given with the cams.
Rocker arms could be wearing out but it couldnt cause that in that short period of time. Good luck homie, hope everything works out to your benefits

you sir are a Idiot. You want to tune ASAP before you blow it up or lean it out and damage something.

I towed a fresh engine to the dyno and dyno tuned it with 0 miles on the engine.

I dont know were you get you info but you are wrong.

you sir are a Idiot. You want to tune ASAP before you blow it up or lean it out and damage something.

I towed a fresh engine to the dyno and dyno tuned it with 0 miles on the engine.

:thumbsup:

u calling me the idiot??

Probably did.... Didn't say you can't because you could. Im saying you shouldn't if you understand the process of BREAKING IT IN " IDIOT " . That motor probably blew within the same year. Not because of heavy driving but because you are a idiot for tuning a fresh motor to gain power out of it.

Have you ever even built a motor, get the fuck out of here retard and that is enough of your all capital words. You're getting negative repped for being such an ass clown. Have fun carrying around your red badge of idiocy.

:happydance::harhar::happydance::harhar::happydance::harhar:
I build more motors than the amount of females you slept with...Confidently Speaking.
I tuned more cars than the amount of females you spoke too...... Confidently Speaking
And i painted more cars than the amount of females you was rejected from ....CHAZ. Give me the red badge because that don't do ish to my street cred CHAZ
so go F your MOM with your premature self
Have you ever even built a motor, get the fuck out of here retard and that is enough of your all capital words. You're getting negative repped for being such an ass clown. Have fun carrying around your red badge of idiocy.

And if you can tune motor freshly built than i didn't know,
I just always chose to break them in first before tuning it for performance.
I was told by DRT when i was 16, and yosolo few few years back

Back