Valvetrain wear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Here's How To Break-In An Engine Properly:
There are 3 ways you can break in an engine:

1) on a dyno
2) on the street, or off road (Motocross or Snowmobile.)
3) on the racetrack
On a Dyno:
Warm the engine up
completely !!

Then, using 4th gear:

Do Three 1/2 Throttle dyno runs from
40% - 60% of your engine's max rpm
Let it Cool Down For About 15 Minutes

Do Three 3/4 Throttle dyno runs from
40% - 80% of your engine's max rpm

Do Three Full Throttle dyno runs from
30% - 100% of your engine's max rpm
Go For It !!
NOTE: If you use a dyno with a brake, it's critical during break - in that you allow the engine to decelerate fully on it's own. (Don't use the dyno brake.) The engine vacuum created during closed throttle deceleration sucks the excess oil and metal off the cylinder walls.

The point of this is to remove the very small (micro) particles of ring and cylinder material which are part of the normal wear during this process. During deceleration, the particles suspended in the oil blow out the exhaust, rather than accumulating in the ring grooves between
the piston and rings. This keeps the rings from wearing too much.

You'll notice that at first the engine "smokes" on decel, this is normal, as the rings haven't sealed yet. When you're doing it right, you'll notice that the smoke goes away after about 7-8 runs.
.. now :STFU:

Last edited:
Probably did.... Didn't say you can't because you could. Im saying you shouldn't if you understand the process of BREAKING IT IN " IDIOT " . That motor probably blew within the same year. Not because of heavy driving but because you are a idiot for tuning a fresh motor to gain power out of it.

Engine runs more than fine, reason it burns oil is because I got too aggressive with the nitrous, but its still running like a champ!

again, your a Idiot!

:happydance::harhar::happydance::harhar::happydance::harhar:
I build more motors than the amount of females you slept with...Confidently Speaking.
I tuned more cars than the amount of females you spoke too...... Confidently Speaking
And i painted more cars than the amount of females you was rejected from ....CHAZ. Give me the red badge because that don't do ish to my street cred CHAZ
so go F your MOM with your premature self

:rimshot: great joke!

I can tell your a ass hat! You have no Idea what the fuck your talking about. enjoy neg rep!

Stop junking up my thread assholes!!!

I sent the cams back to skunk2 like a month ago. They are "analyzing" them to see if they were defective or if it was my fault somehow. The .pdf file I sent them is attached to this post.

The nice thing was that skunk2 paid to have my parts shipped to them. Even if they feel that the cam was not defective, they will sell me a replacement for $100.

Attachments

• S2S2 cam failure.pdf
    799.6 KB · Views: 2,143
Wow...sorry to read this issue is still unresolved.

Skunk2 has many guys in the K-series community in an uproar. They constantly complain about product and customer service. Some guys have Dave Hsu pretty upset b/c of their facts and opinions. I am very surprised to read they are expressing such great customer service (but I'm glad to hear). Their K-series stage 2&3 have been known to chew up OEM timing chain tensioners....but any big profile camshaft can do that (especially road course or any endurance). This is what made Hybrid Racing do R&D for their aftermarket TCT. Skunk2 quality control and integrity of their product has been highly questioned. Guys complain a lot based what has happened in the last ten years. Hell Skunk2 was the first to come out with a decent set of B-series VTEC camshafts but that was over a decade ago. They've had their share of changes since (staff, direction, product, ect.) I have done my fair share of camshaft education/research and the more I learn....the more I find out I don't know crap. But I do know that QC can mess up a motor real quick. Stereo lobes versus mono lobes is my newest piece of knowledge.

Magana is my boy and he is a budget build genius. Theory of engine break in can be a tender issue. But I agree with Magana. Accelerating and decelerating is sound. But.....we disagree on clutch break in lol.

99sidude.....keep us posted. Did you get that B16 head?

Last edited:
I did get the b16 head. I've got a fresh set of rockers ready to go. Just waiting on SK2 on the cams. The one guy at SK2 believes that the problem is because I ran lean. Running lean causes it to run hot. The excess heat causes the cam material to break down. This seems to be a bunch of BS to me. If I were running lean for 3k miles, I'd see bigger issues.

The rockers could just be the first thing to weaken and I'm wondering if the ramp of the lobes is the culprit. Especially when one side of your lobe pic looks fine but the other side looks scared pretty bad. With my eyes, your pics look like the rocker wear was towards the end and makes me wonder if the lobe was (for lack of a better phrase) bottoming out and causing the metal wear on rocker and camshaft lobes. But.....wouldn't the valve just open more and cause valve to piston clearance before that happened....I think so. Sorry......just thinking and shooting my thoughts (that went in circles lol)

Last edited:
Skunk2 emailed me today and said that they are sending me a new cam! I'm glad that they are a company that stands behind their product. They will be getting my business in the future, that is certain. They never told me what actually happened.

I hope there is a difference and you got a bad camshaft....otherwise.....I'm worried it will happen again.

Thats why I'm going to put the cam in.... and sell the bitch. 2 wheeled vehicles are calling my name

Back