1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VCR finally died need to find a replacement

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by chestercheeto48, Nov 27, 2006.

1. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

Hey all got a quick question for you. My VCR finally died the other night which left me with a few questions. Should I spend the 40 - 50 dollars to get another VCR or should I upgrade to something better?

My fiance and I soley use the machines to tape shows that we will be missing for the week or to tape shows that are on at the same time. I have heard that some of the digital recorders are nice but I don't want to burn onto a dvd everytime. We like the "eraseability" factor so to speak. I know that if we upgrade to digital cable we can get a dvr/tivo like device but I don't want to spend the cash every month to pay for digital cable I have had it before and could care less if I ever get it again. What are my options all I want to do is ocassionally tape a show for a one time viewing at my convience.

Specs

must be able to record a tv show while still being able to use that tv.

I don't want to be constantly burning DVD's

has to be less than 250.00 for the item

Any Suggestions?

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

3. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

Or a TV Tuner card in your PC with a big hard drive.

$70-100 for a really good card and another $100 for a 320gb hdd.

4. NARKOSIS

NARKOSIS New Member

im not sure what the costs are by you, but with digital cable, the DVR box only costs me an extra $5/months and its well worth it. If they are generally all the same, you can record two shows at the same time and if you're not recording HD content, you could easily get two weeks worth of shows recorded. I watch CSI HD, Heroes HD, Jericho HD, and a few others and I normally have enough room for about 1 1/2 weeks.

5. chestercheeto48

Digital cable blows - too many channels with nothing on and way over priced in my honest opinion. right now i am paying 47.99 a month for regular cable. If I wanted to jump to digital I would pay 65.00 minimum plus another 5 per month for a dvr. This is way not worth it. I would save 264.xx a year.

6. Turbo&Auto

Turbo&Auto Nick Go FAST!!

I pay 85/month for digital cable, hd cable box, HBO and cable internet. Worth every cent IMHO.

7. NARKOSIS

NARKOSIS New Member

true, im not a fan of cable, id love to have satellite. But i believe I pay about $65/month but that also includes internet and basic HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX)

8. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

9. NARKOSIS

NARKOSIS New Member

yeah, its all about give n take really. For instance, when we had Francis and Jean (hurricanes) coming over us, we were bunkered down at my bosses house who has DirecTV and we were watching the news during the height of the storm. It really all depends on the placement of the dish and if its covered in a way. And with cable, not sure if its my DVR box or Comcast, but Heroes tends to have a lot of issues with audio cutting out or the video lagging. The audio is weird though, it always plays the background sounds but its like the characters loose their mics, very odd.

10. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

DirecTV with TiVo > *

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  11. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Gonzo Scientist

Detaching yourself from the slime that oozes through the wall/sky > *

12. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

back on subject... We bought a DVD/VCR combo... Its a nice 4 head unit with a Progressive Scan DVD... Cost about $100ish...

13. chestercheeto48

well we were at my fiance's parents house and she mentioned that the vcr died so her mom gave us their "extra" phillips dvd/vcr combo. So I guess the problem is solved for now.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted