Vehicle Speed Sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well on the way home from philly today, my car started to act a lil strange. At first it was fine, the speedo worked, no CEL and crossed over to VTEC like a champ. But about a half mile down the road the speedo stopped working and it wouldnt go into VTEC. About another half mile later it threw a CEL, and since i was in stop and go traffic (76 sucks for those who live near me) and i have no carpets and what not, i clearly saw that it was flashing code 17 - VSS. Now its probably just a loose wire but i searched the site and didnt come up with much so anyone who had a similar problem with an OBD-0 B16 lemme know how ya fixed it.

Also, isnt the actual VSS on the back of the guage cluster on the EF's, and just the gear in the tranny?

And one more question with the risk of sounding mildly retarded, would the CEL for the VSS cause the whole computer to go in limp mode therefore restricting the crossover into VTEC?

With no VSS, the computer won't know when to engage vtec, as it has to be going forward at 20mph, along with receiving an rpm signal, oil pressure signal. No, the VSS is on the tranny. It's probably just a loose wire, if you suspect that.

Originally posted by Speedracer228@Apr 30 2005, 07:55 AM

But is the actual VSS behind the dash/Guage cluster?
[post=493354]Quoted post[/post]​

It's on the tranny, towards the back of the tranny, near the differential housing.

thats what i thought, but i heard somewhere that on EF's that it was behind the guage cluster. I guess once it stops raining here ill bring it in the garage and check it out.

Ill post up what the deal is then....

Originally posted by Speedracer228@Apr 30 2005, 12:34 PM
thats what i thought, but i heard somewhere that on EF's that it was behind the guage cluster. I guess once it stops raining here ill bring it in the garage and check it out.

Ill post up what the deal is then....
[post=493382]Quoted post[/post]​

the VSS is cable driven...maybe the cable just popped out...nothing major

im having the same trouble with my rex. My problem normally happens when i take the cable from the cluster off. if you have never messed with your cluster then tyhe problem is in your tranny side.
Now i dont mean to thread jack but i pulled the wire from my tranny to give it some slack on the other end, and there was a little metal cap that came off of the cable. i pushed it back in and put the cable back in the tranny. BUT STILL NO SPEEDO NOR VTEC. :angry: did i fuck something up?

well i took a look at it, the cable is not snapped or anything, so the problem is either behind the dash, or the teeth are broken.

Also, I unbolted the vss from the tranny, but i couldnt get it out, Does anyone know how easy it should be to get out?, or if theres a trick to it or something.....

I have taken them off several b-series motors and after removing the two bolts they just pop off. There is a little metal piece inside that you need to keep track of. Some times it comes off with the sensor and sometimes it doesn't. Either way make sure you keep track of it. Also make sure you get it lined up properly when putting a new vss on otherwise your speedo still wont work.

On my hydro LS trans and the old cable LS trans I had the VSS is in the same place.

Mine came out pretty easily. You should only have to remove ONE 10 mm bolt. The other is for the electrical connector (maybe it's different on the cable transes)

Originally posted by lswhitecivic@May 2 2005, 04:56 PM
I have taken them off several b-series motors and after removing the two bolts they just pop off. There is a little metal piece inside that you need to keep track of. Some times it comes off with the sensor and sometimes it doesn't. Either way make sure you keep track of it. Also make sure you get it lined up properly when putting a new vss on otherwise your speedo still wont work.
[post=494122]Quoted post[/post]​

well you helped me out. i think thats my problem. :D

VSS's can be extremely hard ot get out depending on age and corrosion...
i have had to actually take one out of a d series cable tranny piece by piece with a hammer/punch/screwdriver and chisel...

i have never seen the actual driving unit on a cable speedo fail...i would put my money on the cable. Ive replaced several snapped cables and never a drive unit.

Originally posted by 88bluehf@May 3 2005, 12:02 PM
i have never seen the actual driving unit on a cable speedo fail...i would put my money on the cable. Ive replaced several snapped cables and never a drive unit.
[post=494461]Quoted post[/post]​

ok my 88 hf has a b16 tranny. since wewre speaking of swapping cables........what junker car do i take it off of? Integra LS?

unless the cable is broken behind the firewall, its fine inside the bay.

I wont get a chance to look at it till friday/saturday, so when i figure it out or cant ill post it up.....

VSS's can be extremely hard ot get out depending on age and corrosion...
i have had to actually take one out of a d series cable tranny piece by piece with a hammer/punch/screwdriver and chisel...

the swap is fairly recent, so unless its broken i dont think it should be corroded already. (this is all with a cable y1 tranny w/my b16 in my 91 si hatch)

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@May 3 2005, 01:45 PM
id assume a CRX
[post=494498]Quoted post[/post]​

yea its a rex. I just replugged the cable from the cluster and tranny to make sure everything is nice and tight. still no speedo :angry: i'm gonna try another cluster and see if that will help. I dont understand though. i know its noT the VSS or the cable, the last thing i did that stopped the speedo was that i opened up my cluster to install a vtec light(failed) and then the shit stopped working. :huh: Since the block is from an LS i assume i can find another VSS fromthe junker right? or should i go buy a new one? GOD DAMNIT I NEED VTEC!

i would look for a used one.

If the cluster doesn't help then a cable from a crx and a VSS from a cable transed teg.

I would love to fix mine but I'm not shelling out 150 bucks for that piece, and it's hard to find a used one for it.

Back