1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vented hood for cooling SC?

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by FLounder, Aug 3, 2009.

1. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

superchargers get hot.... im wondering is there any real advantage to using some sort of vented hood? are any of them functional? and if so, anyone know of a good one for a DC?

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

it wont get hot enough to need a vented hood. a stock hood works just fine. compare to all the cars with oem superchargers. if anything, you could get a cold air intake to lower the temps a little.

3. newb

newb phresh VIP

You could always pack a bag of ice in a cooler in the trunk.

Dont know of any heat exchanger hoods for a teg though.

4. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

Pull the rubber seal off at the back of the hood. Its an old racer trick. It creates some turbulence at the windshield but if you're not gonna be going for a land speed record anytime soon im sure you'll be fine.

5. benson1121

benson1121 New Member

actually its recomended to use short ram. you could intercool it, but if you read on JRSC's website they say youll get more power by using a ram air, and no you do not need to worry about cooling it, it dosent get hot enough to worry about it.

6. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

I was running a cold air intake and 10 psi. I never had issues with crazy intake temps like people seem to complain about. I guess I did notice a little heat soak issues when I made back to back runs at the drag strip. I'd look into a water injection kit. Seems that they have the same performance benefit of the LHT with much less cost.

7. welfare

welfare Ancient Member

Jackson racing superchargers do not require any type of external cooling, even if you do a setup that directs airflow over the body of the manifold or the charger itself you are wasting your time. The only 2 ways to cool the jrsc is water/meth or lht, on the stock charger with 8-10psi you are only going to gain about 20-25 hp I would recommend the lht tho if you plan on surpassing the 11psi barrier.
    As far as heat soak goes, its inevitable, get a cooler temp thermostat and try to keep the engine cooler, that will help out some.

8. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

When its getting hot just get out and spray cold water on it with a hose! Then stand back and watch the show! :p

9. 78civic

78civic Junior Member

You could run an oil cooler before it gets to the S/C. That and running a good synthetic like Amsoil or Mobile could drop operating temps considerably.

E

10. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Most vented hoods aren't function, or as function as others, especially for our Honda's where the engine is in the way.

If you want to cool the JR, just use water/methanol injection.

11. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

my engine runs cooler than ever after building it and installing the supercharger... i still have the stock radiator too. i do need to do something for the high IATs though, meth injection is high on the list.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted