Vertically mounted turbo ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Good evening, I was wondering if a turbo can be mounted in a way that the cold side intake can be pointing up..?

I was thinking about this so I can utilize my space more.
I think that the exit/dump tube would be lots easier to make too.

Another thing, Can a oil cooler be inline with the pressure side to help cool it more? The Turbo that is..

E

1) I believe you can clock and mount a turbo anyway you want.
2) Same as 1. I believe so, but don't take my word as fact.

I don't understand what you are trying to convey..? "if it's up to keep it cool"

I'm thinking of mounting it with the cold side straight up to utilize a scoop in the hood better.
It's just that i've never seen them pointed up before.

E

disregard what he said
it neither makes sense, nor can be read because the grammar is too poor.

yes, you can mount a turbo just about any way you want. just keep in mind that the drain is relying mostly upon gravity.. and the oil feed should be cocked in a way that it wont have any severe kinks in the line

Thanks Matt.

I have this project that i'm thinking of making a twin turbo'd 2.4, dohc mistu in a 77 Hornet. (similar to the www.ProjectOg.com projects) It will be utilizing a "Billhousing" to a Toyota Supra w55 trans. And just to be different, thought of the two "intakes" to be pointing straight up with a scoop in the hood for cold air like the 'ol Pontiac shaker scoops.
The turbos will be the standard 14b just because they are all over and cheap if I screw one or both up.

Have Plenty of room for it too! No pics as of yet. Just one that looks like mine, only earlier version.[/ATTACH]

I have to sell off my old Civic 1200's for room in my shop.
Hope to have it in by this summer.

E

Attachments

• 74 hornet a.jpg
    74 hornet a.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 473
  • 74 hornet b.jpg
    74 hornet b.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 644
no the inlet for the turbo can not be pointing straigt up. The oil feed line needs to be between 10 and 2 oclock. if you postition the turbo like you described the oil wont drain properly and the seals and bushings will not work properly if the turbo is positioned that way.

thread-jacking myself.. I wonder why the center section is soo short and not longer. I would think that that in itself would increase reliability.

I've seen a few pics of some twin turbo'd supras and they were angled upward slightly..
It's not something that 'has to happen' for me. Just was thinking outside the box.

I would like to know what would be a 'too great' of an angle upward though.

E

why not just lay them flat and just run a pipe from said intake to the turbo?

Matt. I thought that it would solve space problems, 2-good used b14's should be cheap (i think I have 3, gotta look through my crap) and thought that I should have enough room on the pass side to dump straight down to a Y and then say a single 4" out?? Or Dr. Gass sells some flattened pipe that is supposed to flow better and give better ground clearance. It's been a while since I was under that car, and need to take some pics of it too. And I'll try and get one of the engine compt sometime before work.

I wonder if I can run a 1/2" aluminum fuel line but as a coolant line from the hatch area in a big cooler and cycle it with one of those RV water pumps dedicated just for the turbos..? Wonder how long it would take to change ice to steam around the coils.

E

That setup will never make enough power to overcome the added weight.

between 10 and 2 like someone else said its not that hard to figure out. you want the best flow poss. only way could see a flat center section is if you had some kind of pump but thats just over complicating things.

Added weight of the piping and turbo? I just talked to Turbonetics about my idea and they stated that I "might get by" with a 5deg raise, but it comes down to a oil drainage problem.

Thanks guys..

E

Back