Very First Engine Install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joebeajetski

Hey all,

I've finally gotten to the point where I can get my stock replacement D16Y8 engine into my 99 Civic.

Since nothing has changed I have no issues or complications, BUT this is the first time I'm installing an engine so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the major steps I must take (i.e. getting the distributor and crank set up correctly together.)

I have no problems whatsoever in the physical installation, just the important details that I must deal with on the install that I didn't come across on the uninstall. If you could point to me a good site or just give me some tips that would be awesome! Thanks.

-Joe

If you're just swapping the engine, you just need to swap the engine.
Your engine really doesn't care if your at TDC if it's sitting there.
Don't forget all your grounds.

ive heard of some guys just leaving the tranny in the bay. Personally I have no clue how they manuever the input shaft like this. I would take the tranny and engine off as one piece. That means you have to take off the linkage. If you have never done one.. its a pain in the arse sometimes. grab either an 8mm punch of if you have access to an air chisel that would be 1000x better.

Definately take the tranny out of the car if its your first time, I just got done with my first swap too and It would be pretty damn hard to leave the tranny in the car.

As far as getting the distributer and the crank set up together correctly it should be fine on the new motor, as long as its complete. If you have to take the timing belt off,then thats when you get into making sure the engine is at TDC and so on.

like they said... much better if you take out the whole ass'y but if your going to go the other way make sure you prop up your tranny securely . i've done it both ways and had no problems either way !! and watch out for brackets and sensors too.

Back