1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very good phishing email

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by xj0hnx, Sep 10, 2005.

1. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

So, I get the above email, telling me that I have added a new email to my account, and I need to verify it. So I open a new tab and enter "paypal.com" and am directed to this address....

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

I right click the email anad open it in a new tab, and am sent to....

http://loscerros.org/home/imagenes/titulos/w/update.html

If you don't look at the address, this second site is an exact mirror of the Paypal site.

They don't ask for anything suspicious in the email, and even the link provided look like the Paypal login screen link, kind we do links here with the tags

Becareful kids

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

The above links in the quoted email will take you to paypal site, since the original html tags are not present. If you want to see the phishing site, right click copy paste the second addy.

3. tylonalsnifnfool

tylonalsnifnfool Senior Member

i've been getting that one weekly for like a month.

4. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

best way to find fake paypal emails is paypal always uses your real name the fake ones always say "dear paypal user"

5. punkyjewster41

punkyjewster41 Senior Member

oh god...i actually filled that out...

kinda, heres what i got

PayPal

PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of buyers and sellers. To protect the security of your account, PayPal employs some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the PayPal system for unusual activity.

We are contacting you to inform you that on 1st September 2005 our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account has been limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved.

Why has my account access become limited?

Your account access has become limited for the following reason(s):

# 1st September 2005: We believe your account was accessed by an unauthorized third party.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-069-737-184.)

We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.

How can I restore my account access?
    By logging into your PayPal account at https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr and you will be directed to the verifying page.

Completing all the items will automatically restore your account access.
    Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.
    Copyright© 2005 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

........does that seem real? im worried...

6. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

:werd: me too, probably for like 2 months now, I just keep forwarding them to spoof@paypal.com.

7. StealthMode

StealthMode Kung Foolin'

My boss bought something off eBay last week. When she got the email telling her that she owed xxx amount of money, it gave a link. Apparently, if you click the link, the hacker or whoever has something piggybacked onto it that gets all your information as you go to pay through paypal. She still had her credit card, but someone had her card number and was making $4000 worth of withdrawals in Italy. The only reason she caught it, is because she went to the store to make a $12 purchase and her card was declined. It had exceeded her $1000 a day limit. $4000 later, she had to file with the POlice and the FBI.

8. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

I NEVER respond to any e-mail from any service I use. not ebay, paypal, or any of my creditcards, cable, power, water... you name it

they can either

A, call me.
    B, send me a letter,
    C, update me when I log in next time.

I've NEVER had any issues with anything and I pay 99% of my bills online.

If I do get an e-mail from any of the companies I deal with I delete them or if it for some reasons seems legit I DO NOT open any links from the e-mail, I open up firefox and go to www.capitalone.com or whatever the site may be and go from there.

9. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

I got one today saying somebody in UK sent me $960....I clicked open another window and went to [aypal directly and balance was $0.00,....and scrolled over the link in the email...and it was the same one as above....

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

if you use thunderbird for your email, mailscanner will detect fraudulent links.

ebay now has a control center-- all real emails are sent to you on the ebay website.

and for the 5th time, NEVER CLICK A LINK if you think its real.

log in all by yourself at the site, by openinging a new browser window, and mnually typing it in.

and if you use ie, you could be tripply fucked... but 85% of the world is stupid and still uses that worthless pos, so good luck.

here: enjoy this:

then, http://www.getfirefox.com

11. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

so, basically, you could really and truely be on amazon.com but they made a layer OVER the content of amazon or whatever site, that you would enter your info into on their screen/system.

12. StealthMode

StealthMode Kung Foolin'

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened to her. She said that the investigation process could take between 2 weeks and 2 months, so it could be a while before she gets her money back.

13. tylonalsnifnfool

tylonalsnifnfool Senior Member

I get this one every other day too:

14. ripperbone

ripperbone angry bear

thats why when ever i use my card it sends a text message to my phone. :worthy:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted