video of the 97 civic ex smokin into oblivion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racermp

humm, so i sprayed alot of carb cleaner while running, brake cleaner into the cylinders thru the plug ports, new PCV,

i let it run for 30 mins, it just wown't stop smokin. engine is smooth and runs strong. just smokin like hell!!!

got worse after a gunk flush, it used to only smoke after 3k till gunk flush, now it's all the time

170k miles.

what yall think?

check your oil to see if there is any radiator fluid in it. also check the fluid to see if there is any oil mixed there. why did you spray brake cleaner into the engine?

hey, i sprayed brake cleaner, just a small amount cuz the new spark plugs (10 miles) are already very black and have oil on them. i just wanted to blow out the oil that was in the cylinders.

the smoke doesn't smell like coolant. smells like gas. no oil/water mixing. coolant is also staying at good level. so i dont' think it's mixing.

all cylinders have 190-200 of compression.

could bad rings really cause smoke like this?

if the rings are bad, the compression will be off. if you have oil on the plugs, that could be causing problems also.

probably the spark plugs seals. i would check that first. start with the cheap and easy stuff. get another comp check after that.

hey, yea i checked that, no oil on the top side. there's oil comming from inside the cylinder (oil on the plug tips where the electrode is). there's no oil where the plug wires go. it's all dry there. valve cover gasket/ sparkplug seals are new btw

VALVE STEM SEALS..... thats the only thing i can think of my integra does that but theres no less than 3k on the motor after i rebuilded it was ls/vtec but the timing belt slipped so i threw on a ls head and it has bad stem seals... but my head is being fully built right now.. so soon to be ls/vtec again

if u say the compression is good, the oil and coolant look in good shape... then the only other place oil could be leaking into the chamber is through the valve stem seals... u need to replace them but i dont recomend doing it your self if u dont have the right tools... take it to a shop so they could do it for u!!

hey thanks. i'll try the valve stems seals first and see what happens. thanks alot for the input yall.

the engine runs too strong for the rings to be bad. no problems starting up or anything.

all u need is a valve spring compressor.. its a easy easy easy job... do one at a time... pull the valve take off the seal with pliers and push the new on one... that simple... its just time comssuming...

My bad racermp, if you do have good compression and dont see bluish/white smoke than your rings are good. Dont replace them. Continue with what you are gonna be doing

hey thanks alot for everyone's help. i really appreciate it. i drove the car 10 miles to my friend place tonight. it really puffs out over 1500 rpmso i kinda drove it slow. engine still runs really well. oh well

i ned the car next week and only have tomorow to work on it.

i bought a used engine from a junk yard today for 425. it's from a 2000 civic ex with around 90k miles.(as they say). so i'm gonna be installing that in tomorow. i'll let yall know how all goes.

does anyone have the DIY for removing and replcing the motor from under the car cuz i don't have a hoist.

thanks for all help yall.best forum i've come acrossso far :)

Best thing to do if you don't have a hoist is get the car prepped for engine removal aka, everything undone, disconnected, ready to pull then go rent a hoist it's like $20 for a day.

Back