Vista

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
Anyone pick up a copy of Vista yet or have the full release on there computer yet? Im intrested to see how well it does. Hopefully ITT will have a copy soon that I can procure.

i got it... fucking awesome... i can give screenshots of whatever you would like. I suggest the Home Premium for all your needs. The ultimate is bs, the only thing it has going for it is that it has a 64bit dvd also with it. The home premium has one dvd and it is 32 only. You need to buy the 64 seperate. About an Hour and a half to upgrade. But none the less awesome. I like the navigation and and just how smooth it runs. I just finished installing this and live one, so i am now about to test it out fully. Best Buy byfar has the best deal. I got 1gb of pc3200 ram for free( should have been 512, but i hit on the chick and got 2 and her phone number), taxcut pro and Microsoft live onecare all absolutley free with my vista purchase. I chose the upgrade because #1 the price and #2 reading through... no bugs as of yet for the "upgrade" version. So a good $159.00 purchase.

edit - im actually starting a list of all the badass features right now :)

Last edited:
Vista's okay, but not amazing. A friend of mine has it, and when it comes to home use, its pretty killer. If you need business junk, id stay with XP or at least leave it on the computer, cause i know some applications dont work in vista yet (even though theyve been releasing the APIs forever).

That's one of the lamest fucking things I've ever read. Don't get me wrong - I couldnt give a fuck less about games and vista. But whoopdie doo. Im sure there are better things to bash MicR0$oGHt* for.

*for the haters

haha i didnt even read it, i just linked it because it echoed a lot of what other sites are finding; Vista is slower than XP in many apps, largely video games and expectingly, less compatiable.

i actually like the eye candy myself, but i probably wont upgrade until its more solidified and i have a beefier system.

besides, even if we bash on MS, id say more than 90% of the forum members are running one if its OS.

Glad to hear a few guys have had real hands on experience with it. I am looking forward to getting to use it in the near future. Once I can get a "free" copy on disk then ill run it so untill then its XP for me and when I get motivated ill be running Gentoo as well.

vista requires activation within 3 days, i dont know if they can crack that. But if they can so be it. But i like the oem capabilities, of updates when i buy an os. I havent bought one since 2000 though :)

hmm.... may have to delete some stuff and make another partition to clear some space for Vista... a p4 3.6HT w/ 1gb of ram is plenty for Vista, yes?

i use 1 gb, and the only thing i cannot do, is alt+tab out of counterstrike... but then again shouldnt be playing counterstrike at all :)

Here is an unbiased opinion of vista...

TweakVista.com - Vista launch press coverage inaccuracies, corrected

I am still researching the drm, about music atleast. Any program i need, i buy. Of course 1000 bucs is stupid for photoshop, but there are free alternatives. Open Office FTW!

I have my laptop at work, some of the few IT guys are helping and tweaking it out. But i couldnt lose with the deal bestbuy has.

Ram = 49.99 ( i got 2 )
Taxcut = 29.99
OneCare = 49.99
total - FREEBIE [/MONSTER GARAGE]

So i basically got free vista... The ram i have been needing to buy for the womans computer for a while now. So 2 512 sticks will be nice. And onecare is actually a nice firewall. I like vista so far, but i have yet to really dive in. I sould get something up today.

lets put it this way. The builds i tested were.....interesting to say the least, a lot of cool features in theory, but during my testing (build 5456 was my last vista DL) wireless was super buggy, and the anti-virus didnt work at all (either that or the libraries were super old). The firewall worked great though, but i assume its based off XPs firewall.

Really thats my only negatives for vista. Some newer games didnt work, but i assumed it was because vista was in beta. Id have to test CS:S/HL2 and Quake 4 a run, as well as photoshop, flash and zend before i give my thumbs up to vista. Dont worry, already got a copy from work, and it will be on my new machine.

Using it on a laptop is awesome, the power management is great. I use the Home Premium Edition, and Media Center is so much more user friendly than xp's version. Can anyone give me what drm actually is... does it prevent ptp, torrent, and/of file sharing? Or does it regulate it. Because i had my library of music playing fine when i installed vista. But i had to full install a fresh copy and i dont know if i can "rebuild" it or should i just start giving my money to napster?

Back