VOIP, anyone using it ??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Well, I was looking into VOIP services and Vonage has a plan for 500min a month for $15 which is half the cost of my current phone bill, and I get alot more services for the money. Call waiting/fowarding, Caller ID, Voicemail etc...

Wanted to ask you guys/gals if any of you were using it and your experience with it.

--
I guess this is kinda computer related, but if a mod/admin thinks that it more of a general topic please move it to the members lounge so more people see this please.

Proper forum. :thumbsup:

I've got a buddy using Vonage, and it works really well for him. He's an IT guy too, so he's not just some Joe Schmoe who plugs it in and thinks it all works fine and dandy- he's genuinely happy with it. I've talked to him over the VoIP system, and it sounds really clean and lag-free.

i really don't see the point.

when i move out, i probably won't be getting a phone. i have a cell phone. why bother having a house phone?

B im at that same spot.. use my cell for my phone.. dont have a house phone and im out on my own. but i've got to th epoint where i wouldnt' mind a lan line (of sorts) been looking into this. actually but i heard vonage has connection and hidden fee's

Who DOESN'T have hidden fees anymore? Jeez.

We just got a Cisco VoIP system at work. Like 30 or so phones, the server, all that jazz. I don't think you wanna spend 90k though.

vonage will tell you up front all the fees associated with there service. the 14.99 plan ends up as a total monthly cost of $16.27 after E911 fee and a regulatory fee. still half the cost of my landline phone.

i really don't see the point.

when i move out, i probably won't be getting a phone. i have a cell phone. why bother having a house phone?

Well my house is a cell phone monster it eats cell phone signals for breakfast. No matter who's service you have be it ,nextel, sprint, verizon, cingular, at&t, t-mobile , etc.... (kinda like being at auto-x) the only place at home I get service is on my back deck and I'm not keen on standing outside in sub 20 degree weather to talk on the phone. Sometimes on occassion if you're sitting in just the right spot on the couch in the living room you'll get a signal but that changes with the time of day and position of the nearest planet, moon, sun , hell I've yet to figure out any pattern. So hence the need for a landline phone. Also it doesn't help that to the north the elevation is 200+ft higher than my house and to the south it's at least 50-70ft higher elevation and I live smack dead at the bottom. Hence the need for a landline phone.

don't forget about cell phone radiation

Well I just signed up for Vonage , I'll let you all know how it goes.

--
Also if you call them up they will waive the start-up cost and the first months service

Back