Volvo 760 wagon issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
Get ready for a long post.

I have a 1989 Volvo 760 wagon. Keep in mind, that I did have some mods installed on this thing prior, but since the problems have started, I have removed them all.

This is my DD, so its extremely crucial that this thing has minimal downtime, and excellent reliability. PROBLEM #1: The old turbo went out, and so I replaced it with a new one that is stock and freshly rebuilt. I'm almost positive the turbo is operating properly. It spools fine, and doesn't bind up or anything. The problem is, the old turbo was in there for awhile when it wasn't doing so well. I was looking at the dipstick today and on the bottom of the dipstick there is this gritty, greyish colored gross shit. It definitely has metal shavings in it, which makes me think bearing material either from the old turbo, or from the engine. Thats the first problem.

PROBLEM #2: The car is smoking like crazy out of the exhaust. It is burning oil and coolant. Its bad, I go through a quart a week and have to refill the coolant about twice a week, just to keep it at the minimum level. Its really bad, and it smells like utter ass.

PROBLEM #3: After driving the car for about 10 minutes I got out to fill it with oil. When I remove the oil cap, smoke comes out. Its blue in color, and definitely smells like burning oil.

These are the two main problems that I have. I am looking for second opinions. I think its a head gasket, but I'm not really sure. It could be a number of things, but I'm thinking the main problem is the head gasket.

Sorry for the long read. I tried to make it detailed so maybe I could get some second opinions. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.. I'm gonna check and see if there is any oil in the coolant in a few minutes. I really hope its a headgasket and not something more serious.

Hey guys, I have some more info. Keep in mind that this turbocharger was JUST replaced. I have put less than 1,000 miles on it.

What led me to replace the old turbo is the fact that there was oil in my intercooler piping and it was bad, pretty thick. I replaced the turbo, and today I pulled one of the intercooler pipes off and sure enough theres oil in there. I don't think its left over from the other turbo, because its right off of the exit of the turbo. I'm almost 100% sure the seals on this turbo are good. What else could be causing this? I know this is probably about 90% of the smoking problem. I flushed the coolant and oil today, no oil in the coolant. And no coolant in the oil. Any ideas?

I appreciate the help BTW.

Well guys, I found the problem.

After looking at the turbo today, it has tons of shaft play. I know it did not when I put it in, so the only assumption here is that there is shavings in the oil from the old turbo, and they have chewed the bearings up. I am getting ready to go get the oil flushed, baby it until I get the Civic running and then I think I am going to buy a new motor for this beast. Thats about the only solution I feel comfortable with. I really don't like the thought of metal shavings floating aroud inside there.

No, its not.

I flushed the oil last night, and no signs of shavings anywhere, still smokes but not NEARLY as bad, which I'm happy with. Its driveable for the time being, so I'll just keep putting around until I get the Civic finished.

Back