Volvo's new Rig brakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Works a lot better than Volvo's last attempt at collision avoidance...

Braking distances are part of that 2016 mandate on trucks along side fuel efficiency.
We've been seeing a lot of fairings on trailers up here lately.

Braking distances are part of that 2016 mandate on trucks along side fuel efficiency.
We've been seeing a lot of fairings on trailers up here lately.
Regarding fuel efficiency the mandate is pretty easily obtainable. Only tombstone trucks will really be effected at production. Some of the newer model aero mid sized tractors with 80k loads, are crossing the rocky's getting upwards of high 6mpg's and 7-8's in the flats. A smaller lighter engine now can make more power/torque and have a more generous torque curve than your old big liter engines of the past.

Emissions is the hardest hurdle for trucks. Its by far the most expensive hurdle. Every 3 years new EPA control. Each engine sold is subject to a surcharge based upon the emissions and the emissions type of program that is included. DEF was back in the day like 2007, then some went to EGR or SCA in 2010. This year 2013 all engines have to have certain increases in emissions.

It's pretty interesting watching some companies go for cheap routes to improve emissions then get fined for every engine sold because it didn't hit the emissions like 10k per engine.

Braking distance is pretty manageable surprisingly compared to emissions from what I've read. A lot of trucks are coming with standard front discs now and there is a huge decrease in stopping distance right there. I'm really interested in getting behind of the wheel on one of these trucks with the accident avoidance.

Euro trucks are a totally different ball game than US trucks.

But George7777777 let me drive his rig once - a 2008 Volvo.

Has anyone in this thread ever driven a semi ? Yeah, after that little exercise, you won't catch me 100 feet in front of one. Fuck that noise - those things are horrendous.

never driven (thank god) but have sat in and knew right away that i would kill people if i did. lol it's like driving a sectional couch.

i drove a 90s international around a big parking lot a few times. didnt seem that bad.

Euro trucks are a totally different ball game than US trucks.

But George7777777 let me drive his rig once - a 2008 Volvo.

Has anyone in this thread ever driven a semi ? Yeah, after that little exercise, you won't catch me 100 feet in front of one. Fuck that noise - those things are horrendous.

Not nearly as different as you think. Each manufacturer employs serious collaboration across all their divisions to see if the technological advances in one area will work in another. While there are government restrictions, truck manufacturers don't go to the bare minimum of restrictions. They're tending to become more technology companies that make trucks than manufacturers that need technology.

Without tipping my hat any more, the modern heavy duty truck is getting pretty freaking nice to ride in these days.

The latest Internationals drive like cars. Totally amazing, and pretty nice places to spend 10 hours in.

The Volvo had these brakes with a 2 second delay. The first truck i drove was a mid 80s International, and it didn't have those fucking brakes.

Heh. I remember when I had to move someone's rig off our loading dock. It was more luxury than truck. The mirrors allowed full visibility, the brakes were AMAZING, and the power steering was incredible. The seat was as comfortable as my CR-Z. The steering wheel was actually the size of a pickup truck, and was canted approximately the same.

The latest Internationals drive like cars. Totally amazing, and pretty nice places to spend 10 hours in.

The Volvo had these brakes with a 2 second delay. The first truck i drove was a mid 80s International, and it didn't have those fucking brakes.

[Insert obligatory bias saying internationals are junk here].

Last edited:
Glad someone finally fixed the spelling of Volvo in the title. It was starting to annoy me.

Back