1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSS not working. Have ran tests, but need some help.

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by wikedeye, Jun 14, 2010.

1. wikedeye

wikedeye Well-Known Member

My car is throwing a 17 cel code. Its a 93 civic dx coupe. I have been running a bunch of tests, but I am having some problems. I am not very experienced with electrical so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I have done so far.
    Checked fuses.
    I have checked the wires at the vss
    -ground has continuity
    -yel/blue has 12.45 volts
    -yel/wht has 4.81 volts
    I checked continuity on the wires running from vss to speedo and they are good.
    I raised the vehicle and tested for a pulse from the wheels.
    -the voltage does not pulse, but it does show 4.81 volts like the earlier test, its just constant.
    I replaced the vss with a known working one (this is the third one I have tried). Still not working.
    I tried a known working cluster and still bad.
    I took apart the good vss and polished all the cylinders for good conductivity and added new electric grease. Everything was really clean in the first place, but I did it anyway.

I am curious about something. The number 18 (7.5a pgm-fi under dash) fuse does not show any voltage in any key position. I checked it and it is good. I know the number 24 fuse is the one that actually controls the vss, but would the #18 have any effect on whether the vss works or not. What else could be causing this problem?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted