vtec activation in K-series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey, i just swapped a JDM 2nd gen B16a into my 98 civic lx, and when vtec kicks in its an amazing feeling, you can feel and hear the vtec screaming. . And I was just wondering, because I've never driven in a newer Si or RSX what vtec feels like in the K-series motors. I'm guessing its the same 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5600K BAMMMMM. Or is it a smoother and quieter transaction like a d16y8 vtec, except with alot more power?

I have got a 03' SI and it's smooth. You can hear it starting at 2200 and at about 4500 it kicks. But not a big kick.

ALL vtec crossovers SHOULD be smooth. if you wanna feel a kick. jdm h22 is the way to go. now that thing is crazy.

I'm not saying that its not smooth what I am saying is obviously when vtec kicks in theres a huge increase in power, like when your accelerating the engine gets louder as you go up in rpm, but when vtec kicks in it gets even LOUDER and the vtec puts you back in your seat. Basically, B-series motors get most of there power in vtec. so what I meant is in a k-series do you have to wait until 5600 rpm or what ever for vtec to give a huge power increase. What rpm does it engage? Or is it designed differently, Like is the vtec incorporated throughout the rpms, so that when you drive you don't feel the sudden jump in power, but the vtec is still there to give the motor extra power all the way to redline. I don't mean to be confusing I'm just curious.

If you don't understand what I wrote above this is basically what I'm asking!!

B-Series:(b16a)
1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 5600(vtec engages=louder=huge jump in power), 6K, 7K, 8200 rpm.

K-Series:
?

vtec in a new si is barely noticeable because its the same technology as the d15z1 vtec-e motor which means you get all four valves wide open at vtec crossover ..however the type S motors have REAL vtec and they feel pretty good and sound pretty good with intake and exhaust

Back