VTEC all the time

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Dec 6 2004, 04:51 PM
I can't believe you guys are recommending an LS head over a Vtec head lol. The PR4 head is the biggest piece of shit head known to man kind. The cams... are junk. There are very few people making big power on LS heads. Why? because even after all the porting you do, and a nice big set of cams, your not going to outflow a Vtec head. People swap to vtec heads because they make more power and a funnier to drive.
[post=427203]Quoted post[/post]​

totally agree but i think you mean more fun to drive. i dont find vtec funny at all.
fun-more fun
funny-funnier

Originally posted by brian11to1@Dec 6 2004, 09:10 PM
Just so you know you cant put a nonVTEC head on a VTEC block.
[post=427179]Quoted post[/post]​

why not?

vtec is all IN the head... you can make a b16a non vtec... it's just a stupid thing to do.

if you want to do the vtec killers (on a daily driven car that will be murder) i'm forseeing a lot of problems (which happened on my 'torqueless' b16a on STOCK parts) so, be smart, BUILD your motor right... don't just ask people what the 'fastest' parts are, and slap them in your car, cuz you'll end up screwing something up... and then you'll pay for it.

i agree with everyone else... on a daily driven (sporty) car... vtec shouldn't be kicking in till around 4500-5600 cuz well, have you seen the power curves on the motors?? any time before then just is WASTING GAS. lol

although... there are exceptions to this... and i know a few people who can make use of that 'lag' time...

that's why i'm saying screw it.... and going to do my own kick ass setup... and no one knows bout it but me right now. :p vtec sucks.

Balls to this man........

You people keep on forgetting that the high lobe on a VTEC cam will suck on the low end....yes VTEC is a fuel saving device, I understand this but the low lobe has way more torque and enables your car to idle properly. Thats the whole point of VTEC.....On the low lobe you get idle and torque until crossover, then on the high lobe you get top-end power. I wouldnt see the point of having VTEC on all the time.....your running on a cam profile that is designed for the top end.....there goes your torque. Either keep it semi-stock configuration, or kill it alltogether.

And yes, you can put a non-VTEC head on a VTEC block. Plug everything on the block that has to do with VTEC. It's quite simple.

VTEC head>Non VTEC head. It's all about flow.

Originally posted by adnoh@Dec 25 2004, 08:04 PM
Balls to this man........

You people keep on forgetting that the high lobe on a VTEC cam will suck on the low end....yes VTEC is a fuel saving device, I understand this but the low lobe has way more torque and enables your car to idle properly. Thats the whole point of VTEC.....On the low lobe you get idle and torque until crossover, then on the high lobe you get top-end power. I wouldnt see the point of having VTEC on all the time.....your running on a cam profile that is designed for the top end.....there goes your torque. Either keep it semi-stock configuration, or kill it alltogether.

And yes, you can put a non-VTEC head on a VTEC block. Plug everything on the block that has to do with VTEC. It's quite simple.

VTEC head>Non VTEC head. It's all about flow.
[post=437273]Quoted post[/post]​

It seems like you guys covered most everything... I just thought I would also add that VTEC engages only if the engine is revving at its target RPM, the throttle is being engaged (ie: not idle), the VTEC oil pressure switch is showing sufficient oil pressure, and most importantly THE CAR MUST BE MOVING. You can't just set the lobes to cross over at 1.5k RPM and think that you will be able to launch with the more aggressive lobes. I guess unless of course you spin your tires like crazy and the car thinks it's moving.

But at any rate, the more aggressive lobes are just that, more aggressive. I can't for the life of me figure out how running with the ecu set to engage the VTEC at a lower RPM would in any way damage the car, outside of just the added wear associated with more HP. I would recommend you just pick up a pair of ITR of skunk2 stage two cams. Besides, ideally you want to dyno two runs, one with the vtec engaging around 3k, and the other with the vtec not engaging. Then lay the two dyno printouts over each other and set the vtec engagement point to the place that the HP/TQ lines cross over.

my .02

Back