Vtec and Vtec-E?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

No, Vtec-E. It was in the fuel saving civics. (Vx, Hx.) Instead of making more power, it saves you more gas.

Originally posted by SolidSnakeZero@Oct 3 2003, 05:29 PM
so if i buy a Civic HX with a Vtec-E it will have no power? thanx

You'll have power, just not as much as say the i-vtec K20A, but you'll have a lower total sale number on the gas receipt. ;)

I just filled my 2000 SI up last night and I got 16.5 mpg. :eek:

Yeah...I'm still mashing the throttle a little bit marveling at the sound of the Vtec. :p

Originally posted by SolidSnakeZero@Oct 3 2003, 12:29 PM
so if i buy a Civic HX with a Vtec-E it will have no power? thanx

Didn't say that. Just said Vtec-E doesn't make power the same way vtec does.
I got this from the reference section on this site:
D16Y5
Displacement (cc): 1590
Power (bhp@rpm): 115@6200
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 104@5400
Compression Ratio: 9.4:1
Bore (mm): 75
Stroke (mm): 90
Cam Design: sohc
VTEC?: yes
OBD: 2
Year(s) Produced: 1996-2000
In the following car(s): Honda Civic HX

That's more hp than the dx and lx civic's of the same year. I would get an Hx over the others, because it already is wired (sorta) for vtec. It would be less of a hassle to swap a B-series Vtec engine into it.

um, I forgot the link but there is a really good site that explains vtec of all sorts

basically vtec-e closes one of the intake valve at lower rpm's (under 2k or 2.5k I think) so that the air entering has more of a swirling effect and mixes better with the fuel so that it can burn leaner at low rpm thus giving you better gas mileage

can get up to like 45 to the gallon or so
and is still more powerful than the non vtec sohc engines

sleeper... 16.5 mpg? wholy crap that is really bad, like far lower than it should be
the worst mileage I have ever got on my jdm b16 (stock) is 25
if you are only getting 16 you should get your engine checked

Originally posted by EG6D16Z6_NA@Oct 3 2003, 02:14 PM
VTEC-E + VTEC = I-VTEC

both combos deliver to save gas and power

:withstupid:

no hard feelings intended

---------
I-VTEC = VTEC + CONSTANT VARIABLE VALVE TIMING

VTEC = varies by the CAM LOOMS, like ON & OFF switch
"I" stands for the varible timing that constantly adjust the timing throughout the RPM band, this is done through the CAM GEARS. Yes this technology is old to Other Manufactures, LIKE TOYOTA's VVTI, etc. (toyota's VVTLI is like honda's VTEC)

Honda uses BOTH technology in the K series motor....to CREAT MORE POWER with LESS DISPLACEMENT, and LESS GAS USAGE.

Originally posted by EG6D16Z6_NA@Oct 3 2003, 02:14 PM
VTEC-E + VTEC = I-VTEC

both combos deliver to save gas and power

No.

iVTEC allows for variable cam timing in addition to the lift and duration change that VTEC and VTEC-E provide. VTEC and VTEC-E can NOT change cam timing.

Back