vtec at 6500 RPM??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97CTR

so whats wrong? I just did my 97 CTR into a 97ek and it runs awesome, no codes and it moves, but vtec is engaging at around 6500 rpm wich sucks. My tach seems to be pretty much accurate, my 70mph speed is right where it should be in terms of rpms, 3800. So is my vtec engaging late or is it my tach. I am using the ctr ecu. Is this the normal engagement rpm for the ctr. thanks

I'm not sure when VTEC is supposed to activate in a B16B, but that's pretty high...Is it your stock tach? Easiest way to find out is thru a VAFC or Hondata, that way you can activate it when you want to.

isn't the best point for vtec to engage where the torque curve meets the HP curve? (at 5252 or whatever it is)??

well you could try to swap out clusters just to see if another persons will give you a different reading. I say it's your tach. Unless somehow you got a reprogrammed ecu and your vtec crossover was set 1k too high, not sure.

Milan

What does your tach say when you hit the fuel cut? Is it at 9000, or does your tach not go that high? If it says like 10k, then your tach's off. I think the way to find out the best crossover point is to dyno the using only the small lobe up to around 6000. Then dyno the larger lobe (cross over at like 3000rpm) and wherever the 2 torque curves cross, set the vtec to engage there.

ahh yea smurf, I think thats the intersection I was thinking of. Couldn't remember how it was determined.

Back