Vtec Bashing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

a b18b never wins when compared to a gsr motor...except when considering the cost factor.

vtec heads flow better than ls heads. the design of a vtec head is simply better because honda designed these motors to make 160-170-190+ hp...and in order for that to happen the intake manifold and head itself need to be able to flow enough air to make that power.

ls heads were designed for 20-50 less hp, and this is a limiting factor when going with high boost applications...

secondly, ls bottom ends are designed to rev to 6700, not 8500. now i know solreaver and others will bring up examples where ls motors rev to 9k, and yes its possible. however you WILL have more problems revving this motor to 9k, and if you don't believe me and go ahead with this, you'll find out the hard way.

because of the area i'm in, i am able to talk with many guys who are fast, like 10's and 11's. for turbo setups, b18c's are used almost exclusively because of how well they do with boost.

mike yonkey...a friend made 500+hp with a turbo + nitrous setup in a crx, went 10.2 @147 or so

colin...has a yellow crx, have a picture of him vs lisa kubo, he's also making around 500whp and went 10.20's as well...

rocky...turbo gsr setup, in the low 10's, like a tenth of a second faster than mike...kinda retired his car after spending 100k on it over 3 years.

cory thompson...11.94 all motor in a crx, 200whp, ls/vtec...admitted that the ls/vtec has its limitations and has since blown that motor up...he's going with a custom built crv motor that has 15.5:1 compression and should make 300+whp.

neal sutton...11.95 all motor crx, gsr motor, built, 12.3@112 on drag radials in a street legal, daily driven crx.

all of these guys recommend gsr motors over ls motors without any exceptions. in fact, cory is the only one who really likes ls/vtec's and he still has reservations about them. the rest will say "why bother" when asking if you should consider going with an ls motor.

i really can't say anything more, as the guys who are dead set on ls motors will run them anyway, and will be slow. vtec is infinitely better than non-vtec, case closed.

Chet: Acknowledged.

why didn't you post that in the Swap Talk forums? LOL. It was convincing to say the least.

Originally posted by gupta_p@Mar 3 2003, 03:04 AM
Chet: Acknowledged.

why didn't you post that in the Swap Talk forums? LOL. It was convincing to say the least.

It has been beaten to death in the swap,engine building,general tech,forced induction.... :lol:

Originally posted by chet@Mar 2 2003, 08:43 PM
a b18b never wins when compared to a gsr motor...except when considering the cost factor.

vtec heads flow better than ls heads. the design of a vtec head is simply better because honda designed these motors to make 160-170-190+ hp...and in order for that to happen the intake manifold and head itself need to be able to flow enough air to make that power.

ls heads were designed for 20-50 less hp, and this is a limiting factor when going with high boost applications...

secondly, ls bottom ends are designed to rev to 6700, not 8500. now i know solreaver and others will bring up examples where ls motors rev to 9k, and yes its possible. however you WILL have more problems revving this motor to 9k, and if you don't believe me and go ahead with this, you'll find out the hard way.

because of the area i'm in, i am able to talk with many guys who are fast, like 10's and 11's. for turbo setups, b18c's are used almost exclusively because of how well they do with boost.

mike yonkey...a friend made 500+hp with a turbo + nitrous setup in a crx, went 10.2 @147 or so

colin...has a yellow crx, have a picture of him vs lisa kubo, he's also making around 500whp and went 10.20's as well...

rocky...turbo gsr setup, in the low 10's, like a tenth of a second faster than mike...kinda retired his car after spending 100k on it over 3 years.

cory thompson...11.94 all motor in a crx, 200whp, ls/vtec...admitted that the ls/vtec has its limitations and has since blown that motor up...he's going with a custom built crv motor that has 15.5:1 compression and should make 300+whp.

neal sutton...11.95 all motor crx, gsr motor, built, 12.3@112 on drag radials in a street legal, daily driven crx.

all of these guys recommend gsr motors over ls motors without any exceptions. in fact, cory is the only one who really likes ls/vtec's and he still has reservations about them. the rest will say "why bother" when asking if you should consider going with an ls motor.

i really can't say anything more, as the guys who are dead set on ls motors will run them anyway, and will be slow. vtec is infinitely better than non-vtec, case closed.

and that is my only arguement on the entire subject, and has been from day one.

for the price of a LS/ drag turbo setup/hondata tuned, VS an ITR with skunk2 valve train (to equal the price roughly), the ls will smoke it IMO.

VTEC heads flow almost double the LS head... BUT, it can always be ported out to flow better.

Thanks Chet! I got tired of typing about this kind of stuff a long time ago, and it just seemed futile to me to try and say VTEC/turbo had more potential than non-VTEC/turbo, especially on this board.

Back