1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vtec cross's over when car is cold!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by jdm2gen03, Jun 7, 2005.

1. jdm2gen03

jdm2gen03 Senior Member

ok so i jus got done doin the swap and i'm throwing a few codes but will be cleared in a few days, anyhow we took it for a lil test drive start it up and pull it out and get into a lil bit and vtec cracks. which usually doesnt happen unles the engine has proper oil pressure, and the car usaully has to warm up to do so. so my question is will this effect anything, cause any damage, and also why is it doin this.

2. n20hatch

n20hatch Member

Well, my car used to have this problem, I changed my coolant temp sensor and it was fine. I wouldnt take a cold motor into vtec though, somebody back me up with reasons here.

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

engine not warmed up to proper opperating temp + stupid high RPMs (5K+) = BOOM

high revving on a cold engine caused all sorts of added wear and potential damage
    in short..... DONT DO IT

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

When you say "a lil bit", are you talking ten second, ten minutes, two minutes? Motors heat up fairly quick, so if you started it, drove half a mile, and then hammered it, the ECU is probably seeing the tempature it wants, as long as it has that, the right RPMs, right mph, and the right negative pressure at the intake manifold, you're good.

But yea, it's better not to jump in turn the key and hammer it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted