Vtec-e swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Topher03

I have a 95 ex coupe and I need a new motor. So I was thinking about converting it over to a vtec-e motor since its my daily driver and I wanna get the best mpg as possible. Can I just swap the vtec-e head onto my z6 block or do I need a full motor? ALso what other parts would I need?

You can swap heads, but you'll also need matching electronics (02 sensor, ecu) and you'll be a bit off, as the vtec-e block from the d15z1 is a 1.5 with different compression pistons.

As such, you likely won't get the optimial fuel mileage as you'll be running the wrong 'base' program for that compression and thus different horsepower availablility.

honestly, I'd just throw in another z6. They are a dime a dozen and cheap. By the time you factor out your headaches of wiring, locating, shipping, installing, etc, it will probably tkae you 3 years of driving to break even on the gas savings.

i agree, making a hybrid setup like that is probably not worth it to get a tiny increase in gas mileage. easiest and cheapest would be to swap in the same motor again like B said. if you want to spend more money for something different, i would do a b18b swap into the car instead of the vtec-e. the ls motor and trans will net great mpg in a civic and give you more power.

Back