1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vtec For 1995 Civic

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Sene, May 19, 2003.

1. Sene

Sene Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I are writing to you from Switzerland, I just found this site and hope it can answer some questions for me.

We have a 1995 Civic ESI coupe with 125hp engine, it's a 1,6 litres. We were wondering if we can use the head of the 1,6 litres VTEC engine, the one with 160hp, and use it on the stock 125hp engine. The modification must not be visible. The car has to pass inspections.

I'm just wondering if someone could give us some tips on what the conversion would take for modifications.

I have tried to used the Search feature before posting this, but I honestly can't understand a thing about all these engine codes.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Cheers

2. Havok

Havok Senior Member

Alright, I'm not too sure about the EDM (European Domestic Market) but it sounds like you have A D16Z6, and want to put on a B16A head on it. The head will not go one, no D series and B series parts interchange. The way to check for the engine codes are to look on the engine block , on the left side of the engine, under the distributor. I'm not sure on the emissions laws in Europe, but over year, the engine in the car must be newer than the car itself.

3. rsaeini

rsaeini Senior Member

you have a descent powerplant already. you have 2 choices at this point:
    1.) modify the engine you have right now
    2.) swap a DOHC engine in it

since you said the modifications cannot be seen you're probably better off working on the engine you have because the guy inspecting the engine bay has to be blind not to see a dual cam motor in place of the single cam.
    and when i say modify the engine you have i mean swap the intake manifold for one from a newer model sohc vtec motor, get the head port-n-polished, swap out the cam...etc...etc...i'm talking about modifications that can't be seen...swap the header and airbow out too but make sure you swap them back when you take it to get inspected...

4. sohcslammer

sohcslammer Senior Member

People are so quick to tell you that D and B series parts are not interchangeable. I have seen a DOHC head on my D16z motor. If you have the money, anything is possible. But it is totally not worth it to put the b16 head on the d16. Like Rsaeini said, you have a decent motor already, just put in some JE pistons, a cam, cam gears, header, intake and maybe injectors or an intake manifold. You will push 160hp EASY. Probably 160 WHP! (Maybe pigs will fly too.) Or for @ 3-4 thousand put in a B18c. (GSR motor) If you want some ideas PM me and I'll hook up that wimpy sohc.
    P.S. - welcome to HS.

5. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

6. Sene

Sene Junior Member

Hello,

First I want to say THANK YOU to all the members who have so kindly responded to my questions, I was expecting a bit of a flaming for asking stupid Noob questions...

Well anyway, here's what I've understood this far :

The engine in my homie's 1995 Civic ESI coupe is the D16Z6, the one I would like to use the head of is the B16A.

It is not possible to fit D series parts on a B series engine without extensive modifications. An engine swap, however, is feasible...

The B16A engine can be had fairly cheap. It is the 160 hp 1600CC engine. There are two other engines derived from it, which are the B16B, with 180hp (in the civic type-S) and the B16C, but they seem to cost a lot more.

And basically, the swap is not really worth the money compared to tuning the 125hp engine...

Hope I've understood everything correctly, this information is of great use to us, once again THANKS to Afipunk21, Rsaeini and Sohcslammer.

Cheers

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted