vtec head and turbo or b16a2 for a 99 dx hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racecarl

I've had a 1999 civic dx hatchback since November, 2002 and have since gotten it an AEM cold air intake, Apex'i N-1 exhaust and a nice set of rims, not to mention the sound system. This is my page at cardomain.com Within the last few months I have decided that the d16y7 engine was far too weak to build off of, and with that I am left with the decision of getting a vtec head which would make it a decent engine and be fairly cheap... or getting a whole engine swap. I could afford to put a nice big turbo onto the y8 head, which would make a quick mover out of my hatch. But how far could I push that? Would it be worth it to get a b-series like the b16a2 and just have a baseline of 170 something? Please post your ideas for me. Money isn't too big of an issue, as I am still in highschool. Thanks.

well ur last line u said money isnt to much of an issue, if u can Nitrous + b16a2, or turbo b16a2 would dominate, try to get the b block, better upgrades and more parts, as well as, if u ever want to turbo of nitrous it, it will smoke the pants off most turbo d16's.

I think I'm going for the b16a2... so I have to get some money gathered. By the way, is anybody interested in buying a mint Canon GL-1 3ccd mini dv camera with a Century Optics .3x death lens? If so e-mail me. The b16a2 swap is ideal for my car because it is the same engine bay as the 99 so which had the a2, and it will match wiring harnesses. As honda tuning said, "This swap is so easy, it might even be fun."

What kind of price should I aiming for if I want something around 30-50k miles and a complete setup (engine, tranny, ecu, linkage, axles, etc.)?

Thanks for the post sleeper crx. Your car looks badass.

Originally posted by racecarl@Aug 7 2003, 01:31 AM
I think I'm going for the b16a2... so I have to get some money gathered. By the way, is anybody interested in buying a mint Canon GL-1 3ccd mini dv camera with a Century Optics .3x death lens? If so e-mail me. The b16a2 swap is ideal for my car because it is the same engine bay as the 99 so which had the a2, and it will match wiring harnesses. As honda tuning said, "This swap is so easy, it might even be fun."

What kind of price should I aiming for if I want something around 30-50k miles and a complete setup (engine, tranny, ecu, linkage, axles, etc.)?

Thanks for the post sleeper crx. Your car looks badass.

bah, keep the camera. get some footy, you can skate homie.
as for the swap. if i were you, i'd save up a bit more money and get the gsr. you may not get much more HP, but you'll get a grip of TQ and a more useable powerband. and if you're up for it, it might even be worth it to get a SiR II swap, then get a LS short block and build yourself a ls/vtec with the b16's pistons... it might be a 'lil cheaper that way.

engines listed below are complete swaps...

SiR II (obd2) from hmotorsonline: $2,350 + S&H
GSR (obd2) from hmotorsonline: $3,199 + S&H

Back