VTEC Head swap help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boriquashawn

I dropped a D15y8 (i believe) non VTEC Block into my 93 civic hatch. I put a d16y6 VTEC Head on it. The car is a VX model so it originally had a VTEC engine in it. Therefore the wiring harness and computer are VTEC ready. PROBLEM IS that the VTEC isnt working. It even has a VTEC Control module hooked up to it. Any help would be nice please. Ive had a mechanic at a performance car garage tell me that theres a port for oil flow in a VTEC Head thats not in a non VTEC Head. Any information would be nice please. Thanks.

Last edited:
its a d15b7 block and a d16z6 head. theres a VTEC controller because the cars original engine was a VTEC engine. When the VTEC Head was put on the d15b7 block there was a little silver piece in the block on the intake manifold side about centered. is that the oil restricter piece your talking about?

oh and the computer that was put in is the computer off the civic which had the d16z6 engine. so it is a vtec computer.

By VTEC Controller I mean an adjustable VTEC Controller which allows the driver to adjust the rpm at which the VTEC kicks in. I did do the swap myself. Im just not aware of how the VTEC actually works. I didnt realize there was an oil restrictor jet. But I believe I know what your talking about. When the VTEC head was put on there was a silver piece in the block whick looked liked a guide for lining up the head and the block. Other Honda engines i myself have seen apart were VTEC models and didnt have this piece. This block was the first non-VTEC block ive messed with. Im sorry for making you "go out on a limb". Thanks for giving me information to the best that you can. I do appreciate it.
So I guess my question is basically "If I remove the oil restrictor jet in the block will that fix the problem of the VTEC not working?"

yes sir. thats exactly what i thought u were talking about. we actually tried to pull it out when the head was being put on but we couldnt get it to pull out. is there some kind of special tool or should i just pull it out with a pair of pliars? and thanks for the picture and all your help man. thanks alot.

Back