VTEC into 98 si?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Koop

•°o.O KOOP™
What all is involved with putting VTEC into my ride?

price?
level of technical diffculty?

-D

interesting

could it be??? hmmm i really wouldnt know, buddy who sold it to me seemed to know his car. but ill look into it more. how would i identify the motor by model number?:confused:

How bout this. Take it out for a drive and floor it, you should feel some kind of difference at 4000-5000 rpm.

ur from the US right?

You don't have a '98 Si. You either have a '99 Si or a '98 EX. Either way, it already has a VTEC engine in it. My guess is you don't have a '99 Si because you probably would've noticed the big silverish word "VTEC" on the black valve cover. My second reason is that VTEC is barely noticeable on stock D16 engines...you have a D16Y8.

ive been trying to learn as much about this shit as i can so here is the scoop. i figure that honda released a 98 civic EX in the USa and the same car as a 98 civic si in canada. does that make sense? i took my car out. as far i i can tell the shit gives between 4 and 5 thousand rpm like ive been told. So you all have helped out much and if any of u have anything to add please feel free to do so.

thank u!!!

-D, Koop

Last edited:
ok sweet

ok so b4 i ask where to start ill do some research on my own so you all dont have to deal with such basic shit so much lol!!!:)

Blanco is the man you want to talk to around here... when it comes to building a d-series

Dewly Noted

Blanco is the man you want to talk to around here... when it comes to building a d-series
Dewly Noted!!!

This is the engine!!! but it doesnt have a big SOHC VTEC anywhere but i know this is the engine now and i too stupid to find the vtec where Blanco said it should be.Ill have a closer look later.Still looking at things to do to this motor and ill consult soon!
  • 1996-2000 Honda Civic SI (Canada Only)
    • Displacement : 1590 cm³
    • Bore and Stroke : 75 mm X 90 mm
    • Compression : 9.6:1
    • D16Y8 1.6 16V SOHC VTEC 2 PGM-FI 1590
    • 127 hp@6600 rpm 108tq@5500 rpm
    • Head Code : P2J
    • Piston Code : P2P
    • Redline 7000 rpm

Last edited:
Don't call yourself stupid, you're just new...and willing to learn. :)

Not all of the D16 VTEC valve covers say VTEC on them. A lot of them just say Honda.

Good to know. Ok I ordered a german v-chip for my car. It does something with the air intake timing i think. I bought it when i was drunk and bored. i know this doesnt attach to the motor but is it a bad purchase???Click picture to go to the details of the site i got it from!!!

5816d1204414789t-c4a5_2.jpg

Last edited:
i think this is an ecu chip. did u check out the page i got it from??or i guess you might just know....lol:D

you keep posting in the wrong forum this is EF yours is EK

oh damn didnt know.:eek: ill change that for the future. Thanks for filling me in.:) But in the mean time im ill still check this for any updates u guys post. thank u all again!!!

Last edited:
if your still wondering if you have the d16y8...which you do...you can look for yourself by opening your hood, looking at the left side of your block in the front theres an engine code that will say exactly what your engine is.

There's a flat spot on the front of the engine block, to the left of the exhaust manifold, and right where the engine and transmission bolt together. It's about 4"x4", so if you look for it you should be able to find it. That will have your engine code on it and will say D16Y8

fuck my engine sucks doesnt it? it has a d16y8

if your still wondering if you have the d16y8...which you do...you can look for yourself by opening your hood, looking at the left side of your block in the front theres an engine code that will say exactly what your engine is.
Reading > You

Back