vtec is boging down. . .

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Captinb16

When my vtec engages its bogs down really bad. Like its stumbles and falls on its face. It kicks in at 4400. I checked the spool valve and the other filter where the solnoind is on top both are clean. I have tested the vtec sol and nothing seems wrong. THe oil pressure switch I didnt test cause Iam runing a mugen program that bypass the knock sensor, oil pressure switch etc..

Could this be fuel related or not getting enough oil pressure? I dont know I would really appreciate any help on this. :)

im thinkin its prolly dealing with the fuel pressure when vtec engages...ill check with some people and see if i can dig up some possibilities

ok when this problem happens when Iam driving I look over at my ecu and it flashes a long code. If iam reading it right its flashes 7 long flashes in a row then 3 quick ones. What I dont get is isnt this a obd0? It cant be cause its a pr3? Iam not sure.

I've been told by certain moderators that having the VTEC engage that early will cause it to bog no matter what.

There's a reason why Honda built their cars with VTEC engaging around 5000-6500 rpm. (depending on the engine it's serving on)

why would mugen make a program that engages that low if it would cause that problem? It only does it somtimes now since I did a fuel induction service last night. Any other ideas what it could be?

Iam using bosch platium plugs, which I didnt know but I guess are some pretty crappy plugs. What NGK plugs are the good ones?

I dunno. Just because there's a program to turn the vtec engagement down to 2000 rpms doesn't mean you should. Different applications will respond to different engagement settings.

Those plugs might be too hot for a high compression engine. If you did your fuel service and it only does it sometimes you're heading in the right direction.

I have the same program as you do and It doesn't bog at all. 4400 is the lowest you want to go though. The Mugen setup runs EXTREMELY rich and therefore it sounds to me like your either not getting enough fuel pressure or your not getting enough air. Try this to increase your fuel pressure and see if it helps: take the vacum hose off the top of the regulator and then plug the vacum line. That should be plenty of fuel pressure. If this helps you may need to buy an adjustable reg or a new reg. Hope this helps. PM me for anything else.

this is on a b16? then yes, 4400 is way too low. the lowest i ever had my vtec set on my b16 was 5k rpm. the mugen chip should not engange vtec until 5600 rpm. sounds like you're running a gsr ecu? those turn on vtec around 4400 and open the butterflies at around 6k? but, 4400 is too low for a b16. does it pick back up around 5200+?

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Dec 29 2003, 04:40 PM
I have the same program as you do and It doesn't bog at all. 4400 is the lowest you want to go though. The Mugen setup runs EXTREMELY rich and therefore it sounds to me like your either not getting enough fuel pressure or your not getting enough air. Try this to increase your fuel pressure and see if it helps: take the vacum hose off the top of the regulator and then plug the vacum line. That should be plenty of fuel pressure. If this helps you may need to buy an adjustable reg or a new reg. Hope this helps. PM me for anything else.

Thanks man, it was my fuel pressure cause I bought one earlier today. It wasnt geting enough fuel. The code 73 iam still confused about but its runing great now and yes runs rich.

B16: As far as vtec hitting "way to low" dont stock gsr's hit at 4400? I use to bog down around 4400 right when it hit. When I shift into a gear and it when to around that rpm 5200 it just kicked back. Anything above that point it would kick back and run like a 3cyl or putt around. Iam glad this was all it was. I know that my plugs where white and I switched to NGK's instead of these bocsh platniums which I highly ask noone to even use cause they sux.

stock gsr's have dual butterflies. this is how it is able to make power when vtec hits at 4400. 5000 is the lowest anyone should have it, you lose power if it is lower(on non gsr manifolds).

Your problem is that mugen program. Those one size fits all chips, suck major ass! All they do as advance timing, dump a shit load of fuel, lower the vtec crossover point and raise redline; then they'll name it the "mugen" or "skunk2" or whatever program, even for 5-10 bucks, they are not worth it! You need to tune for the package your car has, get rid of that ecu!

I sent the ecu to jdmhondaparts its not a copy program? I have a spoon chip thats the same thing also but with the oil pressure switch enabled etc. I pluged in my other pr3 ecu thats stock with no program it does the same thing. That code would still pop up. It doesnt now since the problem is fixed. But why it threw that code on a obd0 gets me. :blink: but owell its running great now iam sure I will come to find out why later down the road. ;)

Fuel pressure regulator it wasnt getting enough fuel. I changed from bosh platnuims to NGK's. Fuel filter and adjusted the fuel pressure to 45psi. It runs great. Iam only now trying to find the right spot to set the fuel pressure> iam not sure 45psi is correct. for just a stock b16

Originally posted by Captinb16@Dec 30 2003, 12:35 PM
I sent the ecu to jdmhondaparts its not a copy program? I have a spoon chip thats the same thing also but with the oil pressure switch enabled etc. I pluged in my other pr3 ecu thats stock with no program it does the same thing. That code would still pop up. It doesnt now since the problem is fixed. But why it threw that code on a obd0 gets me. :blink: but owell its running great now iam sure I will come to find out why later down the road. ;)

It's still not an adequate tune; but your stock, so it doesn't make a difference anyway

Originally posted by Captinb16@Dec 30 2003, 12:42 PM
Fuel pressure regulator it wasnt getting enough fuel. I changed from bosh platnuims to NGK's. Fuel filter and adjusted the fuel pressure to 45psi. It runs great. Iam only now trying to find the right spot to set the fuel pressure> iam not sure 45psi is correct. for just a stock b16

thank you very much, it doesn't bog either does it? 4400 is perfectly fine for the motor especially if you plan to add alot of upgrades to it. but no lower, in fact I would say 4800 is the best point. But then again the absolute best way to do it is to get an VAFC and set the VTEC when you lose power on the dyno. By the way I would set your pessure at 40psi do to the program your running.

ok problem again. I adjusted my timing and cam timing because the thing was was way off plus I was at like 10 degress on the ing. timing. The car you can feel runs good but the vtec does not engage now. Iam really thrown off. Unless the settings I used are not the right ones. The motor is a JDM b16A no numbers. I looked up on this machine at my work for the specs of a 99 honda civic si since it has the b16 motor also. Well come to find out that they have a hydrolic tensioner so I went with a 93 integra. THe timing marks are the same. The oil pump lines are the same.

Ok so after I set the timing now the car runs good and I dont hear any slight ticking sound like I use to. Also iam not dumping fuel out the exhaust. I checked the plugs and iam runing good not lean and not to rich just normal wear. My big question is what car or whatever iam I suppose to use to set the timing marks for cam timing? Cause the vtec doesnt engage. It acuttaly did work when I first went for a test drive after I was done with the timing but then all of a sudden no vtec. I was a qt low and added some oil. Please help me iam really tired. I tested it after added oil was droped in still doesnt come on. Are there any sugestions what to do?

Back