vtec is boging down. . .

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if theres no Vtec you should be throwing a code, check you Vtec sol., your oil pressure switch, and other connections. No weird noises or anything when vtec should kick in?? try messing with your ignition timing and see what the car does at both extremes, fully retarded.....fully advanced

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jan 14 2004, 03:12 PM
try messing with your ignition timing and see what the car does at both extremes, fully retarded.....fully advanced

That avatar is a good representation of what it will do fully advanced. It worked before and now it doesn't hmmm. B16 already stated the facts, 4400 is way too low. Try a stock ECU if you can with everything set at factory specs. My bet is the ECU... ahem... :roll: upgrade. Even Spoon and Mugens chips are shit. There is no way to produce an across the board chip like this. A b16 is a B16, use the 99 si numbers. Your tensioner doesn't have anything to do with timing marks, in time is in time- hell you shouldn't need a book to set cam timing- the marks are there. Sounds like you had a shit ton of spark knock before due to improper timing and you snuffed it out with too much fuel. Run this rich and start shopping for main bearings because you will turn your motor oil to water when it is cut with the excessive amount af fuel you are washing your cylinders with.

Originally posted by cws13+Jan 15 2004, 05:21 PM-->
theB16tegguy
@Jan 14 2004, 03:12 PM
try messing with your ignition timing and see what the car does at both extremes, fully retarded.....fully advanced

That avatar is a good representation of what it will do fully advanced. It worked before and now it doesn't hmmm. B16 already stated the facts, 4400 is way too low. Try a stock ECU if you can with everything set at factory specs. My bet is the ECU... ahem... :roll: upgrade. Even Spoon and Mugens chips are shit. There is no way to produce an across the board chip like this. A b16 is a B16, use the 99 si numbers. Your tensioner doesn't have anything to do with timing marks, in time is in time- hell you shouldn't need a book to set cam timing- the marks are there. Sounds like you had a shit ton of spark knock before due to improper timing and you snuffed it out with too much fuel. Run this rich and start shopping for main bearings because you will turn your motor oil to water when it is cut with the excessive amount af fuel you are washing your cylinders with.

I'll put money on it that it won't blow.... the ecu is FINE. How many times do I have to say, I have the same ECU! It works fine, so it isn't that. Plus he got it runing good and then he messed with the timing, so it is 90% likely that that is the problem.

All I am saying is that more than one blown head gasket has come in with the timing full advance. twist away....

I have a b16a2 in my 91 integra. I have a pr3 ecu, but I have an Apex'i VAFC to control the vtec. After reading this post I went out and tried vtec at 4400- it dosent bog at all. it dosent pull like it does at 5500 or what ever, but it still pulls. I even tried 4000 and it still dosent bog. Also I have seen MANY different variations of a Mugen program. My friend got a p30 chipped for DOHC vtec, mugen program at Ericks racing for his car(93 civic hb si with jdm itr engine) and the vtec didnt pop till 6500 and the revlimit was at 9800. 4400 sounds like maybe a single cam vtec crossover.
Also get yourself a timing light(nothin fancy, just a plain old timing light.) that would help you when you move the distributer bring the line on the water pump as close to the center line of the 3 lines on the crank pulley.
Correct me if Im wrong, but I think there is a article on VTEC not working, and things it could be.
OBD-0 ECU's throw codes thats why the light on the ecu is there-to check them. Any CEL for any thing in the seventies is a cyclinder misfire. 73 is cyclinder 3 misfire.

Back