1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vtec is not working!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by ponykillerh22, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ponykillerh22

ponykillerh22 boostless and proud!

My friend has a 2000 si with a b18c5 swap and his vtec does not engage at all. I told him to clean the solenoid and check it by putting the wire to the battery to here the click and it did, and it was clean. Me and him both are totally clueless on what's goin on with it. Any help would be great.

2. Luis998

Luis998 Honda Enthusiast

How does he know? VTEC usually engages around 4,500'ish rpm's and should really not be felt when everything is running well from my experience. How is his vtec juice? Is it low? VTEC juice = Oil, by the way.

3. ponykillerh22

His oil is fine, but you don't here it. I have a jdm h22 in my hatch and the only thing done to it is a full exhaust, and I destroy his car. You any where and u see videos of b18c5s keeping up with h22s if not beeting them, I know I have a weight advantage but I don't think I should be killin him like that. I drove it and I played around with it and vtec is not there at all. Could something be wrong with his ecu?

4. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

what ecu is he using??maybe trace the wires back from the solenoid to the ecu to see if they are ok,

5. ponykillerh22

6. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

take a test light and stab the vtec signal wire and see if its getting power

7. hatch4life

hatch4life New Member

8. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

is the check engine light on?

Also, if vtec is working properly you will definitely hear it. vtec affects both intake and exhaust cams on dohc engines. the intake cam is the only one affected on sohc vtec heads, which is why its a much smoother transition.

9. capslock20

capslock20 New Member

you also could check the oil screen that could be dirty and cause the vtec to not kick in

10. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

You really need to hook up an LED or something and make sure that the VTEC isn't working before you start messing with it. And honestly I don't think it's that strange that you're beating him. You've got more horsepower and torque, plus a weight advantage...

11. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

x2,and check the screen,could be clogged

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted