Vtec isn't popping!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91CRXLsGtec

Just picked up a 91 CRX SI with a B18b1 block and a B18c1 head. The tranny is a 5 speed B16 tranny. When I first got it it seem like it was hitting but now that we put a new GSR header and hiflo cat in, its not hitting anymore. Could someone please help? Also we just replaced the timming belt and we made sure all liine were lined up and the timming still seems to be off. Could this be why??

uhm... yes, this could be why...

do you know what you're doing on an LS/VTEC?
sounds like not really to me... in which case you may have made a boo-boo...

tippy towh

If you have a b18c1 head, you need a GSR timing belt, not a b18b1 belt. From what I've heard, you always use the timing belt for the HEAD, not the block, since all the b18 blocks have the same deck hieght.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Apr 11 2004, 04:06 PM
you always use the timing belt for the HEAD, not the block, since all the b18 blocks have the same deck hieght.

Wrong info there, no matter what head you run a b16 timing belt will not fit on a b18/b20 bottom end just as you were saying about deck height, the b18/b20 is >than the b16s ....Check the timing guys, is it throwin any codes?

Sorry, I was assuming among b18s, not b16/b18 combos. I know that a b16 belt won't fit on a b18 block even if it has a b16 head. All I'm saying is if you have a b18b block with a b18c1 head, you need to use a GSR belt.

Check your VTEC wires. Someone may have ran them poorly/loosely and they might have been disconnected on either side(ECU/Solenoid)during your driving/working on it. :shrug2:

which oil pump and water pump are you using? that is the factor in which timing belt to use, there is a big article on the front page of hondaswap on how to build an lsvtec so check it out.

LEts go back one step. I myself dont know alot about hondas, but enough. The person I boghut it from didnt know shit!!! Worst swap I have ever seen. So I purchased this CRX with a B18a1 block and a B18C1 head. When first started it would bomb the RPM up to about 3500 then slowly drop to about 3000 when warm. It was running open header and was popping vtec. So we took it to Inline Pro in VA and had JDM GSR header and hiflo cat installed w/ two o2 sensors. Quite as a whistle now. They also put a new TPS and IAC sensor in to try to lower the RPM, it worked a little but totally, still @ 2000!!! So I picked up an new water pump and timing belt for a GSR. Asked about the oil pump and they said its the same exact pump so no need unless I wanted to just spend money. Went home and installed the timing belt and made sure the original water pump was still in working condition, it appeared to be brand new and the same as the one I just got(22T) on the gear!! Fininshed the install and checked the timing, still appears to bet advanced. Could the timing advancement cause Vtec not to kick in?? If not what could it be???

a mild retartion or advancment of timing won't stop vtec, why don't you guys just set the timing back at factory specs and see? not sure it will directly help, but i had a horrible time figuring out why my vtec wasn't kickin, heres a link to the thread, it might not help you directly but will have a lot of ideas for you to consider: https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...=0&#entry279136

Well yesterday I check all the vtec wires and today I might go get some nicer thicker wire instead of the 16 gauge speaker wire the idiot kid who had the car before me wired it up with. I redid all the connections and still no vtec. Im hoping it is just the oil jets as said in the link. If anything else come to your minds please post, I need to get her fixed ASAP!!!
Thanks for all yours time!!!

Also there is no sensor on the oil feed line from the block to the head, could this be why. I just picked up a new feed kit today. Will install and post back!!!

Kinda of a retarded question, do you have the proper amount of oil in it? Does temp sending unit function properly... hear me out, if the ECU doesnt know the enginei s up to operatin temps then VTEC wont kick.... if there isnt enough oil to make the VTEC function properly by maintaining proper oil pressure the ECU wont switch lobes... Im not sure if all this will make a CEL come on, but this is stuff to think about.

What pin on the ecu does the temp sender splice into??? There is enogh oil as well but the temp sending unit does not appear to be hooked up!!! I just pulled the intake from the head on and Im redoing V-tec lines now, noticed a couple of sensor where not hooked up!! Please help!! Does the temp sender look like a Knock sensor witha 2" metal nipple sticking out the threads???

once you get it wired up right and it checks out, you might wanna see if your vtec solenoid is clogged or if you have a bad solenoid...

Back