vtec issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pdqcrx

Bought a 1993 civic ex automatic with a blown engine. Rebuilt the engine and it runs fine until held full throttle.It opens up and sounds like vtec is there but then it just shuts down.I can hold it to floor when it does this and it will shut completely down. However let off the gas pedal just a little bit and it comes back to life. Sometimes it will give a timing code at idle but it goes away when engine is cut off. Checked the timing with a light and its fine but idle is rough sometimes. Any ideas????

Oil passage to head may be an issue....or something with the rocker assembly binding up when it tries to engage VTEC lobes. ...I dont know. Haven't heard of your situation before.

What engine code is it telling you when it goes off? (or have you seen the light but didn't check?)

I've seen this before in a prelude, when the TPS sensor was the wrong one, but worked, also i've seen it when the Vtec Sylinoied and oil pressure sensor are on there way out the door

You could be right about the tps. it had been broken and the plug was zip tied in place. although it works it is damaged. I'll work that angle and see what happens.

Back