VTEC just won't kick in, yo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was all ready to own some nube.

Instead I almost cried.

Nice car.

there is a guy in arlington that has almost the same car. same color and same body. never seen it up close but i have seen him drive around town. he used to eat at this mexican res. my girl used to work at. but that is a nice car....

I like everything about that car except the exhaust. The rest of the car looks put together perfectly............then you have the crooked exhaust.

I agree entirely, its something that bothers me too. Its due to the fact that the full exhaust kit, which was MADE for the car, will not fit properly. It would be much easier had it been one straight large diameter pipe, but instead its one pipe that splits into two halfway under the car. This makes it much more difficult to maneuver where you want it, as any small adjustment down the line will put a slant on the two glass pack tips on the end. I must have fought with that thing for a couple days before finally getting it close to right, ending up cutting a chunk out of one pipe. Then I recently installed those new wheels at Clayton's, and the driver side rear wouldn't clear the exhaust... so I had to move it, again. So now its slanted, again... It does bother me a bit, and now that I have access to a welder and more tools I have less of an excuse to leave it like that. When I come to that bridge though I'll probably be completely modifying the whole pipe, and that way it won't hang so damn low either. And at that point, well..... new engine!

The car does need a few more things to really make it look good. Coilovers would be nice, it could stand to be lowered.

So whats your relation to Clayton?
He's a friend that I met through a local car club. Like he said, he's been trying to get me to post on this forum for a while, I finally gave in.

I'd rock it.

Where's the car located and how much you want for it? =)

Not for sale, at any (reasonable) price. I'd MAYBE trade it for a new 370z or a late model 350z, but that's a big maybe. In reality, the "blue book value" of my Z is much less, but to me, its just about priceless.

I would rather a l28et than an rb.

Keep it in the family. :D

Why would you even consider an L28et when you have an RB motor available??????

FFFFFFUUUUUUU

Several reasons.

Mostly being the RB is a costly motor. For example an OIL PUMP on an RB runs about $1000, on an L28ET its about $75. Just to give you an idea. If I were to go with the swap, I'd need to buy a lot more than just an oil pump to get it running in the Z. With the L28, its simpler. I have a complete swap sitting here ready to go and run after a bit of wrenching and splicing wires, for less than the price of two RB oil pumps. Not to mention transmissions, custom engine mounts, new turbo (or rebuild of stock, its shot), engine management system, gasket rebuild kit, custom driveshaft etc (and a lot more nickle and dime parts on top). Hold the fucking sprinkles.

The L28 is also a much simpler design. Being that I'm a virgin tuner and this is my first swap, I'd like something simple and cheap to work on and possibly blow up. I have two L28ET motors for spare parts, and an L28E that's coming out of the car which is still good for a rebuild. These are my learner motors. I'd rather blow up one of them than an RB because I did something stupid. If I don't, and I rebuild one of them well, I may be able to sell it for a few grand. Rebuilding my T3 turbo was easy, a motor shouldn't be much worse, and I have plenty of documentation to help.

THAT BEING SAID... I am bothered by the ancient, inefficient SOHC head design without crossflow. Even though I generally like the motor design for its simplicity and durability. Later on down the road if Clayton doesn't sell/use the RB motor I would be happy to take it off his hands and put it in the Z. By that time I'll have more experience and money to dump into it. Then I can really go to town.

-Chris
(obviously, I haxxored Clay's account from the garage to post this)
;)

Well yeah if you're going for "cost effective" you wouldn't really want the RB, but nothing was ever said about cost being an object :p

Just letting ya know the reasoning, so you don't think I'm completely insane. :joystick:

Back