vtec kicks in but dont do much

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MRDC2

i have a 97 gsr, my vtec kicks in at about 4700rpm which i think is kind of early but thats besides the point. i have recently noticed a lack of power in vtec and it really sucks. when i ride in others gsr's it always hits around 5000 or 5500 rpm and seems to pull a lot harder and sound louder. i got i/h/e, aem tru power pulleys, UR underdrive crank pulley and itr lsd tranny. the car is a lot slower then it should be, is there any kind of diag. tests? where should i start :worthy:

Originally posted by MRDC2@Jun 1 2005, 10:48 PM
i have a 97 gsr, my vtec kicks in at about 4700rpm which i think is kind of early but thats besides the point. i have recently noticed a lack of power in vtec and it really sucks. when i ride in others gsr's it always hits around 5000 or 5500 rpm and seems to pull a lot harder and sound louder. i got i/h/e, aem tru power pulleys, UR underdrive crank pulley and itr lsd tranny. the car is a lot slower then it should be, is there any kind of diag. tests? where should i start :worthy:
[post=506497]Quoted post[/post]​

First, start by checking your oil level and/or doing an oil change. why you ask? because what you are hearing is your secondary butterfly opening and your vtec isn't hitting around 5500 (if i'm not mistaken) like it should be. if the oil level is fine and the oil change doesn't work, try testing the vtec solenoid and pressure switch to make sure they are working correctly.

BTW- get rid of that underdrive pulley, all it's doing is hurting your motor

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR+Jun 1 2005, 11:27 PM-->
@Jun 1 2005, 10:48 PM
i have a 97 gsr, my vtec kicks in at about 4700rpm which i think is kind of early but thats besides the point. i have recently noticed a lack of power in vtec and it really sucks. when i ride in others gsr's it always hits around 5000 or 5500 rpm and seems to pull a lot harder and sound louder. i got i/h/e, aem tru power pulleys, UR underdrive crank pulley and itr lsd tranny. the car is a lot slower then it should be, is there any kind of diag. tests? where should i start  :worthy:
[post=506497]Quoted post[/post]​

First, start by checking your oil level and/or doing an oil change. why you ask? because what you are hearing is your secondary butterfly opening and your vtec isn't hitting around 5500 (if i'm not mistaken) like it should be. if the oil level is fine and the oil change doesn't work, try testing the vtec solenoid and pressure switch to make sure they are working correctly.

BTW- get rid of that underdrive pulley, all it's doing is hurting your motor
[post=506505]Quoted post[/post]​

This WILL be the last time I post this.

GSR VTEC = Engages at or around 4400
GSR Butterflys = Open at or around 5500

There is no fucking second VTEC, the sound EVERYONE THINKS is VTEC is your butterflys opening. GSR VTEC engagement is very smooth compared to a B16 and you most likely don't notice it. What you do notice is the loud noise your manifold makes when it sucks in a bunch more air. Jesus fucking christ. You guys want to spend every last fucking dollar you have on your car, at least figure out how it works. :angry:

MRDC2 - With your motor running, pop your hood and slowly remove your oil cap. Feel all that air shooting out of the hole? That's blow-by and it's why your car is slow. Stop beating on your car.

Back