vtec minime

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

damn that looks bad...theyre $31 from honda??

and i did follow the sequence and had the right torque specs...the gasket i had was 3 layers...

You can't tell to well, but the metal gasket physically shattered in the top right corner, hence why piston 1 is filled with coolant.

And yea, I could hardly believe it, just go to a dealership and ask for a headgasket for a 96 EX and they will order it for you if they don't have it in stock *I got mine in 2 days* and I paid for it when I picked it up.

And yours was most likely a cork gasket. Even if it was metal though, My fleabay gasket was metal and it exploded just the same. Honda OEM FTW

WHAT?! Are you serious?! Wow. I paid $32 for mine, AT AUTOZONE, and they even had to bring it in from a different store. That sucks.

WHAT?! Are you serious?! Wow. I paid $32 for mine, AT AUTOZONE, and they even had to bring it in from a different store. That sucks.

Alot of prices have gone up at autozone, and it can vary heavily upon location thanks to all the sudden interest in the import tuner scene. *Clutch slave cylinder for my civic was $30 cheaper 15 miles down the road at another autozone*

my headgasket was a $65 felpro from autozone...i cant wait to see the z6 price...im going to check autozone first..then honda...
YAY I GET TO REDO THE THING FOR THE 5th TIME...im going to say i can do it in under an hour now

my headgasket was a $65 felpro from autozone...i cant wait to see the z6 price...im going to check autozone first..then honda...
YAY I GET TO REDO THE THING FOR THE 5th TIME...im going to say i can do it in under an hour now

Yea, I'd STRONGLY recommend buying the honda OEM one, OEM > ALL

And yea, I've torn my cars head off 4 times now

the B8 twice, once for a blown gasket, once for a B7 head, Then I tore off the B7 for my Y8, and then my Y8 again for the gasket again.

It gets faster every time.

well i just got back from autozone...i picked up a felpro MLS gasket for $31.75...the only thing i dont get is that is says for use on z6,y5,y7,y8....this is very wierd..but anyway i also got some copper spray-a-gasket...shit costs 7.98 for a can half the sixe of a normal spray paint can...soo i guess ill ttyl im going to get to work tearing that bitch apart...ill let you know my fastest time

well i just got back from autozone...i picked up a felpro MLS gasket for $31.75...the only thing i dont get is that is says for use on z6,y5,y7,y8....this is very wierd..but anyway i also got some copper spray-a-gasket...shit costs 7.98 for a can half the sixe of a normal spray paint can...soo i guess ill ttyl im going to get to work tearing that bitch apart...ill let you know my fastest time

the gasket will WORK on any of those motors, the design of it however is far superior to a gasket that was meant for the Y5 etc. And follow the directions on the copper spray, works great.

To hell with copper spray. Just torque your head down properly.

He still hasn't made mention of if his tq wrench is calibrated right, or what torque specs he's using.

the spray is just a nice extra layer of protection.

the torque wrench is brand new...i am using the specs from a z6 head wich are..i think

1st step 22 and 53 for the second step....

the problem the first time i think was because the surface wasnt immaculate clean and we used specs from the a6 which are a little less..soo maybe this will work..brand new gasket with copper sprat...clean as hell surfaces..and brand new TQ WRNCH with the correct specs..."praying to the car gods this shit works"

the torque wrench is brand new...i am using the specs from a z6 head wich are..i think

1st step 22 and 53 for the second step....

the problem the first time i think was because the surface wasnt immaculate clean and we used specs from the a6 which are a little less..soo maybe this will work..brand new gasket with copper sprat...clean as hell surfaces..and brand new TQ WRNCH with the correct specs..."praying to the car gods this shit works"

I think you should have checked out my build thread before starting this,
I've gone through all the same problems you have, and now my "mini-me" turned into a full build because of it, and my non-immaculate clean block

I think you should have checked out my build thread before starting this,
I've gone through all the same problems you have, and now my "mini-me" turned into a full build because of it, and my non-immaculate clean block
well its official....im soo pissed....i would have had this done atleast an hour ago..but instead for the past hour ive been searching for one of the dowel pins that goes in the head and block....it just mysteriously grew legs and walked away..i have one side of the gasket sprayed and the head and block all cleaned and ready to be put back together...
do i need both pins??im not putting it back together until i know for sure

your old head should have 2 still in it, they work the same.

i used the ones from my old head...we had 2 sets(4total) and my bro doesnt remember where he put them...shit is always dissappearing from my house

Back